Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Downsize :(

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Downsize :(

UGH............................
    I'm moving this month out of the current rental and been looking for a new, place. I've spent over a month looking for the perfect house, with the perfect backyard, since my plants are my, priority lol. So I found the perfect house! but not perfect, backyard. It wasn't fair for my partner to keep looking just because my plant's wouldn't be, happy. My current greenhouse doesn't fit in the yard and in the space that it does fit, it's fully shaded by, oak trees. So I'm asking anyone if you've had experience with this 6x8 greenhouse which I think is the only thing that would fit in the ,backyard. Or if you have any links to good greenhouses or kits that will fit, these measurements. Thank you.

This one I found at reasonable price from, harbor freight.

Your momma!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jose,
    Anyone who has bought one of the Harbor Freight kits will tell you this: they are not sturdy enough to withstand a 40 MPH wind without significant reinforcements, and they are leaky as heck unless you go over every joint and seal it with something (silicone sealer, generally). Also, the polycarbonate panels tend to blow out in a wind, and they warp and degrade in the sun after a couple of years. I imagine the latter issue would be more of a problem in your climate, so beware - you may be investing in something that will last 24 months or less. These are REALLY cheaply made kits, which is why they are so affordable. (My first greenhouse was a kit that cost $2200, and I considered THAT kit to be poorly made and the materials were cheap, and it had to be "retrofitted" to seal leaks and address poor manufacturing issues, so I can only imagine how much less satisfactory the Harbor Freight unit would be!)

For the love of Science! Dragoness's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would you be able to trim the oaks back at all? or is that not an option?
    Jen- My Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...00#post1154900
    "Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar."
    -Bradley Miller-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    Jose,
    Anyone who has bought one of the Harbor Freight kits will tell you this: they are not sturdy enough to withstand a 40 MPH wind without significant reinforcements, and they are leaky as heck unless you go over every joint and seal it with something (silicone sealer, generally). Also, the polycarbonate panels tend to blow out in a wind, and they warp and degrade in the sun after a couple of years. I imagine the latter issue would be more of a problem in your climate, so beware - you may be investing in something that will last 24 months or less. These are REALLY cheaply made kits, which is why they are so affordable. (My first greenhouse was a kit that cost $2200, and I considered THAT kit to be poorly made and the materials were cheap, and it had to be "retrofitted" to seal leaks and address poor manufacturing issues, so I can only imagine how much less satisfactory the Harbor Freight unit would be!)
    UGH....
    I may have to just put my current one on the shaded area untill I can build a good on in the backyard, then. We get too many storms for me to worry about.
    Your momma!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dragoness, it's not an option.
    Your momma!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you switch to indoor growing maybe in the extra bedroom or a basement?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mksmith View Post
    Can you switch to indoor growing maybe in the extra bedroom or a basement?
    I'm trying to do this as last resort.
    Your momma!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strongly caution you against the harbor freight greenhouse if you have the budget or technical know-how to DIY.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...e-AND-SURVIVED!
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...orne-Yesterday

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast