Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bittersweet Moment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bittersweet Moment

My robcantleyi has been bothering a bit lately so today I decided to get a little aggressive with it. It made a gnarled leaf about two leaves ago which I didn't want to cut off because I'm usually of the mindset that if its green you shouldn't mess with it. The next leaf developed fine but this last leaf apparently got caught on the gnarled leaf/ stuck in the leaf before it and ended up unable to unfurl at all. By the time I realized the issue it was a little too late (permanently deformed the leaf) and after about 2 weeks of waiting I realized it might just be best to clip off as much of the leaf as I could so that the next leaf wouldn't also have issues unfurling too, letting the plant get back to normal. After making the tough choice, I made a couple of snips being careful not to damage the developing leaf. Once I made the snips I thought to myself what a strange leaf for a moment before realizing it wasn't a leaf at all. It's the first flower from my robcantleyi. Not sure if its a boy or a girl or if it will even develop after all the trauma I put the plant through but I thought it was worth sharing.

photo IMAG1024_zpsvz5dyco8.jpg
    Last edited by Neps_N_Things; 08-09-2014 at 02:13 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that sucks
    Come to me flies and crawling bugs. This plant wants to give you great big hugs
    Aren't I pretty, don't I smell good? I'd come to you if I could
    But I can't so you must come to me, I'm sure we will get along splendidly

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please, please please, for the sake of the hobby don't make anymore horrible robcanleyi hybrids ! hahaha !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu138 View Post
    Please, please please, for the sake of the hobby don't make anymore horrible robcanleyi hybrids ! hahaha !
    +1 on that. The species is dandy but it breeds junk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol. I will say I'm not a huge fan of 99% of the robcantleyi hybrids out there but I think it could make a nice hybrid with a simple truncata or veitchii. Maybe even back crossed onto another robcantleyi hybrid? Something closely related anyway since these guys don't seem to offer many of their characteristic traits to their hybrids. I do like the talangensis x robcantleyi that I've seen though. All that said, it may be one that I just let flower and don't breed. Unless someone else lets me know their robcantleyi is flowering in which case there can never really be too much species seed in my opinion.
    Last edited by Neps_N_Things; 08-09-2014 at 04:52 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually did see the talangensis cross today, it was not nearly as horrible looking as most of the others. Saw maxima crossed with it once too that wasn't too bad.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought THREE plants from Tony of the maxima X robcantleyi cross and they were all dreadful - one of the most uninteresting hybrids ever. I got rid of the first two in a hurry and the third one will be looking for a new home soon. Ugh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just looked up images of the crosses. To say they don't look good is a bit of an understatement.
    OP, one of the things I do when I see leaf issues is manually pull the developing leaf out. I have to do it frequently with a maxima, and it's easy enough once you get the hang of it.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast