User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do you decide which Nepenthes to get?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    honestly my plan for the talangensis was to put it in another oxo box.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3isawesome View Post
    honestly my plan for the talangensis was to put it in another oxo box.
    From what I have heard of talangensis, I don't know if that would be enough. If you think about it though, given how much trouble people have with it and how small a plant it tends to stay, I doubt humidity is the biggest challenge
    Come to me flies and crawling bugs. This plant wants to give you great big hugs
    Aren't I pretty, don't I smell good? I'd come to you if I could
    But I can't so you must come to me, I'm sure we will get along splendidly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are you growing in that jar?
    For how long is it in sunlight?

Not to be a defeatist, but I would say - stick with intermediates for a while. humidity is easy; a closed box as you have sorts that out. temperature is far more complicated and just as or (likely) more important long term. most highlanders would grow well and faster in warm, humid conditions for a while and then die quickly.
    try your best not to kill plants

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i grow a Sibuyanensis in the jar. It gets about 2-3 hours of direct morning sunlight between 7-10AM. Then its just filtered, since the sun rises to the top of the roof.

okay honestly I don't even know the temperature in the box. I am buying a humidity/thermostats from petco today to see what's going on inside that box. All I know is even if it's 90-100 outside, inside the house it never goes beyond above 80.

I should've asked everyone about talangensis before I bought it. Since I don't plan on putting too much $$ into sustaining one plant. I do have a 10 gallon fish tank, should I bust that out? H-E-L-P!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by ps3isawesome; 08-31-2014 at 02:06 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off: thanks for the order. Those are some plants that I'm pretty excited about.

Next: you should be able to relax a bit about the plants. They are growing in an unheated greenhouse in San Francisco, so they are extremely hardened. Since you're in the Bay Area too, I would think about trying them outdoors in filtered sun or on a cold windowsill. Enclosed boxes like yours are good for extremely soft ex-vitro plants, but will probably weaken the plants I send.

Finally: this always comes up when someone mentions N. talangensis. In my experience, it is neither small, slow-growing, nor difficult to pitcher. It's true that my conditions are quite good, but I've never found anything exceptional about this plant.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woah, awesome you're also on this website. It's an honor to chat with you, your online store is AMAZING!!!!. Ya, I really wanted to order from you because you're near by and the discount was great. I'll put them outside in filtered sunlight, plus a couple hours of direct morning sun around 7-9 AM. I'll save boxes like that for other plants. Can't wait for you to restock Sarracenia.

I really hope I don't have to get out my old 10 gallon tank.............. This bay area weather better prevail lol
    Last edited by ps3isawesome; 08-31-2014 at 06:49 PM.

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i dont know if my 2 cents still matters, but most of the people that say they had difficulty
    Growing this plant that it mainly just didnt pitcher and thrive. No danger of instakilling it. (I however have not grown
    It and cant truly say)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats a beautiful talangensis there!! well done
    Mine was one that grew big and flowered many times, but didnt pitcher when it started vining. I got brief periods of pitchers on basals but they stopped when vining.

Im glad you are ditching the box

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast