Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nepenthes cuttings

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kataok View Post
    I have a cutting I've been trying to root for a long time. I used a rooting gel I bought from a plant store.. But nothing!

Should I switch it to plain RO water? Or should I just plant it??

Certain rooting chemicals can do the exact opposite of what they are supposed to do when it comes to carnivorous plants, from what I have heard. I guess better to just not use chemicals at all when most of them will actually stunt root growth
    Come to me flies and crawling bugs. This plant wants to give you great big hugs
    Aren't I pretty, don't I smell good? I'd come to you if I could
    But I can't so you must come to me, I'm sure we will get along splendidly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the substance in the cutting container is water, it looks very stagnant and algae laden.
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would cut your older leaves back to maybe 1/3 of their length. It looks like your leaves are putting too much stress on the cutting. I agree with the suggestion to change out the water as well. If you are trying to root it via a woody stem, you may have better luck by cutting it again where the stem is green, but still keep some node space (distance between leaves) for roots to emerge. If find that cuttings are difficult to strike when the stem looks like that. It has also been my experience that some nepenthes species/hybrids are easy to root via water, while others are not. The fact that your leaves are green is still a good sign.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cut the older leaves, and cut back the stem a little, added fresh water as well.. So lets see what happens! Thank you!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12