What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WOOT WOOT new Nepenthes just in! (New photos update)

Sorry for the bad quality photos, I was going to school when I received the package and hastily repotted and photographed them.

I love the fact that the seller included LFS and pots in the package. I also got a free bonus plant. Plus I used a 20% coupon code from Reddit. Which saved me $18. There is a drosera hamiltonii that i'll post in the other section.

I'm temporarily trying them out in the same set up a Nepenthes. Ventrata has lived in and has quickly produced two new pitchers and a new basil emerged from the soil.

Will monitor it for a few weeks and in the mean time gear up my 10 gallon fish tank just incase this set up doesn't work out.

USDA zone 9B, enjoy guys, I had a giggly and fun time setting the up :-)) After all this is my first batch of Nepenthes.

The set up ( they sit right under a tray of all my other Cp plants ).
IMG_2069_zps9ef9793c.jpg

IMG_2070_zps84b622a9.jpg

My N. Ventrata I got back in July 28th.
IMG_2068_zps7dfb2b8d.jpg

Nepenthes maxima x spectabilis
IMG_2061_zps1235d9db.jpg

Nepenthes veitchii x platychila
IMG_2057_zpseaaee402.jpg

Nepenthes talangensis
IMG_2066_zpsb7f784fa.jpg

Nepenthes muluensis x lowii
IMG_2064_zpsebaf0c8b.jpg

BONUS PLANT N. Ventricosa (thank you ^_^, esp since I don't have one)
IMG_2067_zpsde4e7a84.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty soon, you won't be able to stop yourself from collecting more plants. :lol:

P.S. I didn't know there was an insectivorous plant thread on Reddit.

Pretty soon, you won't be able to stop yourself from collecting more plants. :lol:

Fd, there is a whole subreddit for carnivorous plants, I'm actually one of the mods, it's reddit.com/r/SavageGarden

:-)) you changed your avatar to a Magicarp.

In regards to the subject at hand, that talangensis has some nice pitchers. Let's hope that lasts

:-)) you changed your avatar to a Magicarp.
LOL He actually did.

Anyways, pi3 those look really nice. The shipping Deitys have smiled upon that package.

Hey guys, I decided to retake the photos to do this plants more justice and I think ya'll would enjoy them more.

fdfederation
Hi My name is Steve, s-t-e-v-e and I'm addicted to carnivores plants. Come join us over at Reddit. BTW I love your avatar. one of my fav on the board.

PsychoSarah
Thanks, let's hope I don't have to buy another one :p

Thank you ^_^, praise the shipping Deitys!!! thanks for blessing me. Do nepenthes not travel well?

Last edited:
Good luck with the N. talangensis and N. muluensis x lowii. Neither are known to be exceptionally easy, though in your climate, you actually have a chance. Trying to get at least an unheated greenhouse for an increase in your ability to control their conditions would be ideal, however.

Thank you ...... you're right, I really don't want to count on the natural climate but I am graduating soon and want to move. Soooo..... a greenhouse will have to wait.

Do you guys think a 10 gallon fish tank would do, if the current set up fails?

Thank you ^_^, praise the shipping Deitys!!! thanks for blessing me. Do nepenthes not travel well?

They seem to travel alright for me, however its always good when plants arrive alive and happy. Ive had many a plant
Arrive fried.

They look absolutely stunning ! Good luck with those.
As for 10 gallon fish tank...
Well, in my experience, it worked out pretty well for me. I manage to grow 4 nepenthes species in it: N. singalana x spectabilis, spectablilis x hamata, spectablilis x aristolochioides and talangensis x glandulifera before I moved them into a larger terrarium. I would recommend getting a cpu fan to move the air around, cooling them and lower the chance of mold.

hey thanks for sharing, I asked the buyer and he said wait a few months, if the plants turn black, then get a terrarium.

Since we are neighbors, have you grown nepenthes outdoors?

I saw your new pictures and the misting system. looks great!!!

Aside the CPU fan,what else did your 10 gallon tank had?

I noticed. If you are interested enough then maybe we can trade plants someday. ^ _ ^
I have grown nepenthes outdoors once. It was rather a unpleasant experience for me. The first couple of days was fine but the after a 2 weeks, the nepenthes showed sign of shock ( probably due to poor humidity) and was attack by aphid and other things. The problem was that my backyard didn't have a greenhouse and the backyard wasn't sprayed with any ahpid killer or anything. Currently, I have all my larger specimen growing on my windowsill but it's going moved soon to my campus growing chamber.
My 10 gallon tank had a glass top , grow light, and some reflective material on the back and side to trap more light. I used a spray bottle to mist it once in the morning and a couple of times at night. It also had a temp/humidity meter in it.

Ya, maybe when my collection gets bigger since I only started back in July. How long have you been growing?

thanks for the suggestions, I was hoping to get by with just a glass top, grow lights.

Last edited:
I believe 2 or 1 1/2 year ago is when I started out. How many specimens do you have so far ?
You can probably get by. I used 6400k spectrum lights for grow lights and leave them on for 15 hours a day.

Back