What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pitchers Open Up Dry!

I have a few small Nepenthes maxima 'mini' and when their pitchers open, they are dry. Even before they open, I can tell that they contain no liquid. How can I fix this so they can feed?
They are indoors, with strong lamp light, watered from above, and grow beautifully.

What are the daytime/night temps and humidity?

Room temp is in the 70s, I'd say about 74F. I'm not sure of the humidity, but it's enough to keep my Cape Sundews all sticky and dewy.

Room temp is in the 70s, I'd say about 74F. I'm not sure of the humidity, but it's enough to keep my Cape Sundews all sticky and dewy.

I've seen my dews looking perfect at 90 F and less than 30% humidity; they're not the best hygrometers. ;)

I had that issue briefly, I wasn't watering the plant enough. You can help the pitchers by spraying water into them

So I've got to check the humidity it seems, maybe raise it up. What's the best way to check the humidity? Is it for the pot or the room?

For now, if I fill the pitchers with water, will the plants be able to feed?

Ya, I sprayed water into my new nepenthes pitchers too. The insects that got in them ultimately turned into mosh.

I thought it was a bad thing to put water into pitchers?

So I've got to check the humidity it seems, maybe raise it up. What's the best way to check the humidity? Is it for the pot or the room?

For now, if I fill the pitchers with water, will the plants be able to feed?

Acro,

If you go to your local home improvement store you can buy a small hygrometer/thermometer (usually a digital one that tells both). In my experience they've been pretty reliable at less than $10 a piece. you'll want to know what the humidity around the plant is. so putting it right next to the plant will give you a good reading whether or not you have it in a tank or just out in the open.

edit: here's what i use. http://www.homedepot.com/p/AcuRite-...EM&gclid=CIDP-aug18ACFcbe7AodKSsAlg&gclsrc=ds at the time i bought it (a week and a half ago) in store it was $8 something.

Last edited:
been looking for a hygrometer/thermometer. Thanks for Jafvortex93. gonna go buy that one today

I use one of those as well. They work great, but the screen is starting to fade out a little. probably from the utter humidity

Back