Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: which nep is your biggest diva

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ divaskid.......mine acts similar but it makes pitchers fairly often(maybe 20-30+ a year; I don't have an exact count)for me but just doesn't keep them before they shrivel and die. It does like to drop leaves faster than most of the rest of the neps. But thanks for the memory jog.....yes when mine was younger it didn't pitcher as much but I have discovered one thing that mildly pleases it.......seems it has a sweet tooth. If you feed it; it will make more pitchers for you.....they will shrivel and fall off annoyingly fast so you have to stay on top of it. lol.

give it a try and lmk if that works for you.

hope that helps.

@ charlie.......i have some ampullaria cuttings that are the same way.....******* root already! I know I have a harlequin that has made 6 leaves since I first got it. grrrrr

@ fdf I have never grown 'gentle' but I thought they were easy to grow........small, deformed traps could indicate either a pest or not enough humidity.

@adelae with that mix and tray watering you run the risk of root rot. I flood my chamber but all the water evaporates within 2 days and some of the lowlanders respond well to it....my echinostoma showed no change.......bicals however LOVE it. my growing conditions vary season to season based on ambient temp.....day time humidity varies high 70's to mid 80's and night time humidity varies mid 80's to low 90's. 3 out of 4 seasons they are grown in part north eastern sun and for the winter florescent lights which all of them slow down at that point. temps vary the most but I have a temp controller that activates a heater if the temp drops below 20.3 and they grow the fastest in the summer.

since it has been photographed, the pitcher will most likely fall off tomorrow. lol.

Last edited by cpbobby; 09-12-2014 at 07:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice Bobby, but the red squat was only moved 3 times in the last 2 and a bit years, (6month min before I give up on a site) and the relapses are far more common than when I moved them, I am actually thinking that there is another factor that raff dislike in my environment, as other lowlanders are more than happy, perhaps a bug or mineral, I'm not sure.

But this makes more sense as to why the plants bounce around in health as the factor might be bouncing itself (for example the water is from a bore, perhaps after heavy rains, or little, a certain mineral is in higher doses, or an insect/bacteria more active), sadly I don't have the time to look into this theory as I only go to my greenhouse once a fortnight on average due to uni (my parents let me make an automated one at their place which is about 1.5hour drive).

The problem is why would this not effect the other plants beside the raffs such as ampullaria, bical, distillatoria, khansia, alata, veitchii, mirabilis and maxima which are all in the same sections as the raff's, I could understand if the raffs were more susceptible, but surely at least one of the other species would also share this weakness.

Hopefully when I finish my new greenhouse in the next couple weeks and move them they will be happier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always grown the following neps in water trays and never had a problem with any
    Ampullaria
    Bicalarata
    Alata
    Distilatoria
    Campanulata
    Ventricosa
    Veillardii (but not in winter as it likes it drier)
    Maxima
    Khansia
    Mirabilis (all)
    maxima X alata
    Raff
    camp X vent
    truncate X maxima
    gothica (which also makes deformed lids and small 3-4inch traps and has high light and humidity)
    kongkadana
    black knight
    a couple others, but you get the gist

Plants that hated trays and don't get them are truncate, veitchii, pervillei and dyreana.

Most of my neps are in my greenhouse (shade cloth, misters), others are just in hanging pots in tree's watered by rain and a few are in my polyhouse here at uni.
    I am also in tropical north QLD, so as I don't get many cold persistent temp swings rot has never been a real issue (except for crown rot but the tray would not cause this).
    Last edited by Adelea; 09-12-2014 at 07:20 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie View Post
    Nepenthes glabrata. It is an unrooted cutting I bought june 2013 and still won't make roots or pitchers or decent sized leaves.
    I have a rooted cutting of glabrata, although mine makes leaves just fine, it hasn't decided to pitcher properly yet. Then again, I haven't had it for very long, so time will tell if it really is a diva or not
    Last edited by PsychoSarah; 09-12-2014 at 10:54 PM.
    Come to me flies and crawling bugs. This plant wants to give you great big hugs
    Aren't I pretty, don't I smell good? I'd come to you if I could
    But I can't so you must come to me, I'm sure we will get along splendidly

For the love of Science! Dragoness's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far, I only grow lowlanders, and a few of them do very well for me, while others just don't.

My N. mirabilis (var globosa viking) pitchers like no tomorrow as long as I keep it happy, but one temperature spike, or one dry day, and it drops every pitcher it has, and takes a month to start over. I have had it about a year.

My N. ampullaria (Brunei spotted) grows at a decent (neither fast nor slow) pace, and seems to always pitcher for me.

My N. bicalcarata (Brunei orange clone) took a while to adjust, but is thriving now. Slow grower compared to more speedy neps like Ampullaria.

My N. bicalcarata (Sarawak giant) is both slow AND picky. Leaf/pitcher output is much slower than any other nep I have, and it is far less tolerant of spiking temperatures in the terrarium on hot days. A temp spike that doesn't phase the amp or the other bicalc will cause intense leaf burn and pitcher loss. Have had it only one year, and only 2 pitchers have ever formed.

Am thinking I need to divide up my tanks into a lowland tank that is warm and humid, and an Ultra Lowland that is HOT and humid.

So my Diva is the N. bicalcarata sarawak giant.
    Jen- My Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...00#post1154900
    "Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar."
    -Bradley Miller-

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Divas change throughout the year for me. talangensis did well for quite some time when I first got it, then summer came and now it's really only barely holding on. Song of Melancholy I am trying to reroot as it decided to go downhill and rot for no clear reason. Highland seedlings are a terrible pain; I've had jamban, lingulata, bongso, and izumiae all stay approximately the same size for over a year now. Oh, and an SG pectinata and the muluensis x lowii are painfully slow and reluctant to gain size....
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ dragoness.......i don't believe your bicals will stay that way for very long unless it is chilly......once they get settled in not much can stop them.....they do not get tall, just big. lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The diva in my tank is n. jacquelineae. I've only had it for a year but it hasn't increased in size at all. Unsure why it's being so picky since the other neps and helis in the tank seem to be doing fine. Talangensis throws out a pitcher on occasion and a newly acquired heli decided to flower. The jacqu just sits there mocking me.
    "You cannot find peace by avoiding life."
    Grow List (04.26.2015)
    Artsy Things I Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast