Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: which nep is your biggest diva

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

which nep is your biggest diva

Since I grow lowland neps one would think they are all easy but not so.........I would say that to date my biggest diva is probably Mirabilis var echinostoma.....i dont know if they are all diva's or I got a weak clone....it's worse than my northiana but then again the northy is small....i hear they get testy when they are larger........but that mirabilis......one wrong look and poof the pitchers all shrivel up........If i had to speculate I would think it may require more humidity than the rest of them. I haven't quite located it's happy place if it has one that is. lol. But one day i will find it a place where it can thrive in my chamber. I have acclimated intermediates and highland hybrids that aren't as finicky as this thing. UGH!

how about you guys?......i know there has got to be some picky purebreed ultra highlanders out there that make my annoyances seem like child's play.....lets hear your stories.
    Last edited by cpbobby; 09-12-2014 at 12:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Talangensis is a mystery to me as it is to most people. Hamata, jacquelineae, dubia, inermis, flava, etc. are growing quite happily right next to it. But it's only made one pitiful excuse for a pitcher that I remember since I got it many years ago. Finally it turned into enough of a palm tree that I cut the top off to root it, figuring maybe the base isn't all that healthy anymore. Nope. Two new offshoots pop out of the lower stem immediately. Now I have three healthy talangensis that won't pitcher. Maybe it just forgot what kind of plant it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow lowlanders and a few inter's, anything from campanulata, to mirabilis, to amps to viellardii...all easy, yet for some reason I have always struggled with rafflesiana, I have red squat (second attempt) raff brunei giant and raff?, and none thrive, they sometimes don't pitcher for months, or make small leaves, or rot.

They will thrive for a month or two, then do nothing or get sick, then thrive, then relapse, I have tried an array of spots in the greenhouse, polyhouse and outside but can't seem to succeed, different watering (tray depth to none), lighting, always have high humidity, tried different soils, no luck, they just survive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mirabilis var. echinostoma is a Diva as well! I consider myself pretty successful when it comes to lowlanders but that one I just can't make happy. It'll put out one to two pitchers a year that are awesome, but the rest if the time it sulks, looses a leaf, looses a pitcher and so on. I'd love to know the secret on this one if anyone knows

Here's a pic of my Diva when she decides she likes me...
    ~Michelle (AKA Geva or Jennifer)

Grow/Trade List

Picture Thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nepenthes glabrata. It is an unrooted cutting I bought june 2013 and still won't make roots or pitchers or decent sized leaves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am yet to get a mirabilis var. echinostoma (have never seen them for sale here), but my other mirabilis (thai, local Au form and viking) all seem to thrive in high light levels (full sun in the arvo or morning for several hours), humidity above 70%, kept in a water tray year round, high temps (20-40C) and the best soils for all seem to be peat/orchid potting mix and spag 1:1:1 or peat/sand/bark 2:1:1, without peat they make smaller traps, also without a tray they grow slower and flower less.
    My viking leaves are red in more than 4hours full sun, which is nice, and the Au mirabilis gets a red stem and red blotched leaves in the same lighting.
    I also find that all mirabilis sulk (grow slower, make smaller traps and smaller leaves) when temps are below 20C a few nights in a row, so for me 1-2months of winter, then in summer take off again.

How are you growing the echinostoma?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nepenthes x 'Gentle'
    The deformed pitchers barely grow larger than the diameter of the tendrils.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelea View Post
    I grow lowlanders and a few inter's, anything from campanulata, to mirabilis, to amps to viellardii...all easy, yet for some reason I have always struggled with rafflesiana, I have red squat (second attempt) raff brunei giant and raff?, and none thrive, they sometimes don't pitcher for months, or make small leaves, or rot.

They will thrive for a month or two, then do nothing or get sick, then thrive, then relapse, I have tried an array of spots in the greenhouse, polyhouse and outside but can't seem to succeed, different watering (tray depth to none), lighting, always have high humidity, tried different soils, no luck, they just survive.
    I have had a BE raff var elongata for about 2.5-3 years from a 6 inch seedling to 22 or so inches now; it likes to sulk which is why it isn't bigger but i have so many lowlanders I cannot give it the attention it needs.....I think they are called n. baramensis now but the 3 keys to keeping it happy are humidity, food and STABILITY. They don't like to be moved at all so if you can mark it out a spot and leave it there. lol.

I have a pink kuching squat that has sulked since it arrived from MT but it is finally coming around.......thank god it had a pitcher on it. If you receive one make sure it has a pitcher and dump the juice from another nepenthes pitcher into it and FEED IT. Far as light it seems fairly flexible but doesn't like it overly bright.

hope that helps.
    Last edited by cpbobby; 09-12-2014 at 06:38 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast