What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need a diagnosis

Radagast

NECPS Editor
im looking for someone experienced in nepenthes care and propagation to analyze these 2 pics and provide an explanation.

Background: a number of months ago I took 2 cuttings of my Nepenthes x ventrata. I stuck one cutting in a glass of distilled water and another in a small pot filled with quality LFS as an experiment. Both were kept under identical environmental conditions. I'm using a 4 bulb t5-HO fixture. The one in the pot of LFS looks great and already has beautiful, colored pitchers. The one in the water is starting to look like crap but has lots of roots.

http://flic.kr/p/pnCCcd

http://flic.kr/p/ppEz6X

If it has a ton of roots.. Maybe its getting root rot since its just sitting in water? Just a thought, Im in no way experienced in this.

Last edited:
If it has roots, why not just pot it up? The other one seems happy.
If you ask me, it seems like it is missing the essential elements that it needs to grow, such as iron and nitrogen. It just isn't getting those from the water.

Last edited:
I guess I was just waiting for them to get longer. There are a number of roots but they're no longer than an inch. I'll pot it up and see what happens.

A cutting can be potted as soon as it has even 1/4" roots.

Although it is possible to root many Nepenthes in water, I've always found the task can be accomplished in half the time when rooting in Sphagnum.

Last edited:
Rooting in water is a two-part process, since you force the plant to change the morphology of the root system when it's transferred to a non-hydroponic media. If you allow them to root in Sphagnum, you can simply leave them in the same pot and just lower the humidity, which means less overall stress for the plant.

its probably expirencing root rot or other types of stress, be careful when you transfer to a new medium

Thanks for all the feedback folks.

Just repotted them both into larger containers of LFS.

Back