Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question for veteran growers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of LED setup do you have? Unless you have a terribly expensive LED setup (several hundred dollars) the cheap LED systems aren't good for plant growth. I tried a couple 12" x 12" panes over an orchid terrarium and it was not enough light even for growing the very low light orchids of the Pleurothallid Alliance. Etiolation (not enough light) will give you big leaves and small pitchers, no amount of time and patience will fix that.

65*F at night is very warm for N. hamata, I shoot for 50*F or 55*F and I run the AC for the terrarium if the temps are 60*F or warmer at night.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my experience:

Adequate light = smaller leaves & large pitchers

Less-adequate light = bigger leaves (more surface area) & small pitchers (not enough energy to produce them)

If you're getting the plants from a source that grows them in a greenhouse and then attempting to grow them indoors, this is the expected result.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much for the info guys. I'm going to work on upping the humidity and increasing the light and see if that works.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Thanks so much for the info guys. I'm going to work on upping the humidity and increasing the light and see if that works.
    And reduce the night temps!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jurow View Post
    In my experience:

Adequate light = smaller leaves & large pitchers

Less-adequate light = bigger leaves (more surface area) & small pitchers (not enough energy to produce them)

If you're getting the plants from a source that grows them in a greenhouse and then attempting to grow them indoors, this is the expected result.
    This is my experience as well. Also, Paul is right. Hamatas like very cool night temps, and burkei is also a highlander, so, my guess is this hybrid would prefer very cool night time temps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12