Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Culling Fish With Nepenthes?

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Culling Fish With Nepenthes?

Is the digestive fluid in a Nepenthes pitcher strong enough to digest a live guppy? I would never cull a guppy even if it were ugly, but I recently received about 40 see-thru guppies (you can see the babies in the stomach as they develop, weird genetic thing, not the product of some lab) and one seems to have been squished a bit maybe in the corner of the bag during shipping because his body is bent and he swims 100% vertically...

I reckon he will die either way because he won't be able to get food and he'll tire himself just trying to swim, and it kills me to watch him. I know people say the most humane way is chopping their head off, but I could never bring myself to come close to that.

Would dropping him into a Nepenthes pitcher kill him? To me that's better than just wasting the body because he can live on through the plant.

EDIT: Forgot to add, he's probably a couple months old and just starting to show color (which is how I know he's male)... He is a bit less than an inch.
    Last edited by Nepenthesis; 10-10-2014 at 07:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dropping the guppy in a pitcher would definitely kill it, but it would be incredibly cruel. It would probably languish while its gills, eyes, and other exposed parts are digested alive. I imagine it would perish once its gills have been broken down by the enzymes to a point where they stop functioning and it suffocates.

If you wanted to kill it first, then feed it to the nep, it would probably be fine if the pitcher is big enough. The pitcher life will be greatly shortened however.
    Last edited by w03; 10-10-2014 at 07:58 PM.
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by w03 View Post
    Dropping the guppy in a pitcher would definitely kill it, but it would be incredibly cruel. It would probably languish while its gills, eyes, and other exposed parts are digested alive. I imagine it would perish once its gills have been broken down by the enzymes to a point where they stop functioning and it suffocates.

If you wanted to kill it first, then feed it to the nep, it would probably be fine if the pitcher is big enough. The pitcher life will be greatly shortened however.
    Oh god okay then that won't be happening. I just had the thought because I had hear people say that they do it / specifically use guppy fry to feed their Nepenthes... Do you know a human way to cull? If only I had liquid nitrogen (it'd be awesome and a fast painless death)...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear freezing is a good way to cull fish. Personally I'd just quickly crush its head, would be a quick death and I think it would go into shock and thus not feel pain.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The viscosity of the fluid may actually suffocate the fish quicker than you'd think.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Suffering is a part of life. I don't think that the fish would suffer any more in your pitcher's fluids than it might if it were to slowly live out its days as a gimp with the rest of the fish. Also keep in mind that all the insects that might naturally fall into your Nepenthes' pitchers also experience the same amount of suffering as they slowly drown/become exhausted. If ending suffering is something you find very important then I say smash its head as quickly and precisely as you can.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may just put it in a bag in the freezer... I think it would feel very cold, but its heart would slow and it'd go unconscious. I don't see that being too painful, because cold doesn't hurt and then the fish would go unconscious and freeze without pain.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel your pain. I used to have to kill our pet rats by hitting their head with a shovel. (They would get cancer and brain tumors later in their life and theyd have to be put down so they wouldnt suffer)
    Its an awful feeling killing them, but you should know its for the better. I wouldnt put them in the freezer, Id just deliver one precise blow with a hammer to the head and put it in the pitcher. The freezer would be a LOT slower. If youre honestly trying to give it a quick and painless death, you should just smash its head. It wont feel a thing. The only down side is itll upset you, but is your own comfort worth the suffering of the fish?
    Last edited by Sashoke; 10-10-2014 at 10:52 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast