Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asian pitcher plant fall / winter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Asian pitcher plant fall / winter

Hi, so i brought my plant inside ; its hanging from a hook in a bathroom window.
    there is a vent above the plant which is pulled close - any issues about the vent?
    most of the window hits the plant with light, icluding the pods, but there is some leaves that are not. - any issues with that?

the plant has three pods, one is cut off from the top because during summer when i did get it hanging on the patio it started to brown, after that i put it outside.
    but the other two pods are browning after a week of bringing them inside so i cut them off where the brown stopped; a side question what if the pods i have left die during the fall/winner months and i have
    to cut them all off, is that gonna be a issue?

should this plant be sitting in a saucer.dish full of water, or is watering the pods 1/2 and the plant in general fine?

also i heard the you should touch the plant , as the oil from your hands will slowly kill it?

Thanks i hope i can get these answered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Different species of Nepenthes (asian pitcher plants) have fairly different requirements. Posting a picture of your plant will help us determine the type and overall health of it. Generally speaking, Nepenthes bought from garden stores are generally either N. x ventrata or N. x miranda.

The pitchers ("pods") on the plant will naturally get old and die. If the plant is in good conditions it will make more. Even without any pitchers, the plant can photosynthesize like a normal plant, but having no pitchers is a sign of poor conditions.

Nepenthes generally do not like to sit in water, as it promotes root rot which will kill the plant rather quickly from the bottom up. In general, keep the soil moist but do not let it get waterlogged. An airy mixture such as 1:1 long fiber sphagnum and perlite will help keep the right moisture level and provide the roots with good aeration.

I do not think the closed vent will be a problem. However, next to the bathroom window is not the best place to keep your plant. I doubt it will get enough light, which will make it grow poorly with no pitchers (or die).

Lastly, handling your plant won't kill it unless you have something like household chemicals on your hands.
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here it is

Last edited by etcwilliams; 10-11-2014 at 02:05 PM. Reason: no pic

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by etcwilliams View Post
    here it is

That isnt a very clear photo of the pitchers, but that looks to be a Ventrata.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by w03 View Post
    Different species of Nepenthes (asian pitcher plants) have fairly different requirements. Posting a picture of your plant will help us determine the type and overall health of it. Generally speaking, Nepenthes bought from garden stores are generally either N. x ventrata or N. x miranda.

The pitchers ("pods") on the plant will naturally get old and die. If the plant is in good conditions it will make more. Even without any pitchers, the plant can photosynthesize like a normal plant, but having no pitchers is a sign of poor conditions.

Nepenthes generally do not like to sit in water, as it promotes root rot which will kill the plant rather quickly from the bottom up. In general, keep the soil moist but do not let it get waterlogged. An airy mixture such as 1:1 long fiber sphagnum and perlite will help keep the right moisture level and provide the roots with good aeration.

I do not think the closed vent will be a problem. However, next to the bathroom window is not the best place to keep your plant. I doubt it will get enough light, which will make it grow poorly with no pitchers (or die).

Lastly, handling your plant won't kill it unless you have something like household chemicals on your hands.
    '''

well as for the window/bathroom its that or in a basement hanging about 15 feet from the window.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Itd be useful if there was a picture of an intact pitcher, but that looks like the right color for Ventrata. If all of the pitcher need to be cut off that wouldnt be a problem becuase they arent neccesary for the plant's survival.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sashoke View Post
    Itd be useful if there was a picture of an intact pitcher, but that looks like the right color for Ventrata. If all of the pitcher need to be cut off that wouldnt be a problem becuase they arent neccesary for the plant's survival.
    THIS help? this is the pic of what i bought from the store

Last edited by etcwilliams; 10-11-2014 at 06:33 PM. Reason: txt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast