Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nepenthes Light cycle: 24 hours light cycle effects

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kept Nep seedlings in 24hr light for many months and they seemed okay. I had no control so there was no experimentation
    But they didnt seem to mind
    then, I put an older plant from my GH in there and it died in a week - But, that could have been due to temps (higher and no drop) as my GH is HL and the terra is LL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mato :
    Did you noticed that when new plants where introduce, they would lose their pitchers or have a decrease in pitcher size or slow grow rate?

If this experiment goes well or doesn't, depending on the result, I just wonder what would happen once I switch them back to a 15 or 18 hour light cycle after 6 months. Is there such as light shock to carnivorous plant, where if it taken from a area with 21+ hour of light to 18 and below, would some pitcher die or the plant show down in growth ? Sorry for the strange question.
    Last edited by Varnyte; 11-12-2014 at 03:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by morbus View Post
    I kept Nep seedlings in 24hr light for many months and they seemed okay. I had no control so there was no experimentation
    But they didnt seem to mind
    then, I put an older plant from my GH in there and it died in a week - But, that could have been due to temps (higher and no drop) as my GH is HL and the terra is LL
    That's interesting. My grow chamber is suppose to be a highland chamber.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    What Mat just said, yes.
    The genus Nepenthes has demonstrated a need for a distinct warm-to-cool, day-to-night cycle to regulate its metabolism rhythms, and disruptions to these rhythms has deleterious effects, as Mat has noted. While temperature disruptions are far more well-documented, I suspect light cycle disruptions would eventually manifest similar problems with plants "exhausting" their resources. But without proof, that is not a certainty. If you wish to proceed, you will be mining that data for the community, and that's potentially beneficial. However, I would not expect to see clearly defined effects until you have been at it for several months (IE: six months, perhaps more?).

PS: to make sure you are obtaining data about daylight cycle effects and not just temperature effects, you might want to engineer night temps to drop below 60F, so that you can know for sure any effects you see are not just the results of too many nights above optimal temps. It depends what plants you are using as test subjects, of course (warm, intermediate or cool growers)
    I will continue this experiment for 6 months or to a year. All the plants are intermediate to cool growers. All of them are hybrids. I'll update the specimens in the chamber when I get the time.
    I am trying to get the night temp to go down before 60. It's kinda hard without getting an AC but I'll come up with something.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The most shock is going to happen from keeping the lights on continuously. Sudden high light levels can also cause phytotoxicity, but the alternative scenario is a slower process and less serious for the plant in the short term. Almost any drastic, sudden change to the environmental parameters will shock the plants in one way or another, since they must undergo physiological changes to cope.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm quite curious to see what happens then. Oddly enough, there's very little, or not many leaf burns. I thought that would be the first thing to happen but so far, so good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12