Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Coffee Treatment Results

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coffee Treatment Results

So 2 weeks ago I gave my Ventricosa the coffee treatment by watering it with cold coffee and then flushing the pot out the next morning. Now 2 weeks later there are some very obvious growth increases.

The first thing Ive noticed is insane moss growth:

The first pitcher its produced since the coffee is is about 1/4 larger than all the others:

New pitcher on the right:

However the most astounding growth differences is the newest leaf its put out. It is almost twice the size of the other leaves.

This leaf is also producing a pitcher right now, and Im hoping its gonna be a big one!

Anyway thats my 2 week mark, Ill be watering it with coffee again in another 2 weeks, so Ill post a new update then.
    Last edited by Sashoke; 11-13-2014 at 10:56 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey, i first saw the coffee treatment from nepenthesis. What's your recipe and how long do you wait before the flush? I'd really like to try this on my nepenthes.
    Last edited by ps3isawesome; 11-13-2014 at 10:58 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3isawesome View Post
    hey, i first saw the coffee treatment from nepenthesis. What's your recipe and how long do you wait before the flush? I'd really like to try this on my nepenthes.
    Recipe is just a regular pot of Folgers dark roast. I just wait for it to get cold (Its absolutely imperative that you drink some while its still warm! ;D) then water the plant regularlly. I cofee'd in the afternoon and flushed it the next morning.
    Last edited by Sashoke; 11-13-2014 at 11:04 PM.

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im really excited to try this myself. I wonder if this would work for seedlings as well..

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using darker roasts like the one mentioned might be better as they are like a reduced version of the coffee (less caffeine etc.) it sounds counter intuitive, but cooking the bean longer results in a more broken down material.

Coffee is often used to supplement nitrogen in mushroom cultures, it also provides a boost of acidic properties. Your results seem good, but I think a much larger sample size with clearly defined variables and controls would tell us a lot more.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    can i just go to starbucks and get like 2 or 3 large dark roast black coffee? i don't drink coffee so don't have a coffee maker.

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3isawesome View Post
    can i just go to starbucks and get like 2 or 3 large dark roast black coffee? i don't drink coffee so don't have a coffee maker.
    Star bucks will generally hand you all their grounds if you ask, but make sure it has no flavoring/artificials in it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with starbucks coffee grounds (per experience using it to grow oyster mushrooms)

Is it's high contamination rate. If you feed those coffee grounds or treat the soil, you are likely introducing Trich, and other molds into the soil directly.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast