Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Quick hamata Question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick hamata Question

I recently received a few hamatas from Wistuba. One of them has a blackening leaf on it that has me slightly worried. I believe that it is just tissue damage from the trip as it appeared to be blackening when I first received it. The growth appears to be progressing on it. My other hamatas are progressing well and have had no set backs currently so that leads me to believe that it is just damaged tissue and not root rot or some other insidious thing. Just wanted to double check now rather than later.
    Thank you in advance.

hamata by majaco10, on Flickr
    Last edited by M Jacobs; 11-14-2014 at 02:22 AM.

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there another photo you can use? This one is pretty small
    And wont let me view it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully that will take care of it. You can see it on the forum and it is now a larger size correct?

\

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Root rot would be turning black from the stem up, and new growth would be deformed. If its not showing any of these symptoms I doubt its root rot. Just looks like a damaged leaf to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the growth tip is ok don't be too worried,you mean the large leaf touching the media?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The new leaf has been either damaged or was kept wet for too long. The growth point looks fine though. You're going to lose the new leaf and possibly the next one, after that the plant should go back to producing normal leaves.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Often in these cases, the plant will produce a small, withered leaf that will give way to a new growth point. However, if you notice that necrotic tissue spreading, you should cut it off immediately and let the plant produce a new growth point. The plant won't take long to recover. I've noticed this occurs most often on plants that are exposed to too much moisture and not enough CO2/O2, such as a somewhat long journey in a closed bag. And it's worth noting that it occurs on all plants in these conditions, from small tc clones to large, established specimens, since they're essentially suffocating.