What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where to Get Long-Fibered Sphagnum?

I've had best results with using a LFS-based media for Nepenthes. So far, I have been buying the little ZooMed LFS bales, but I'm wondering if there is a better source cost and quality-wise. The ZooMed LFS is okay, but it tends to have a more "crumbly" texture than I'd like, and it takes a long time to germinate.

Well if you don't need a lot Lowes sells brick size bags of "Orchid Moss" and it works great. Otherwise purchasing a bigger bale off eBay of New Zealand Sphagnum Moss is generally a fine deal even with shipping included. When I bought a big kilo bale in person at the orchid shop it wasn't any cheaper than off eBay with shipping, eBay + shipping might have even been a few bucks cheaper actually. :lol:

I bought the "Orchid Moss" from lowes.
The stuff is great. Heres what it will turn into if you keep it happy

IqYj0cX.jpg

I bought a small bag of high quality newzealand sphagnum off of ebay for 12 bucks. It came in a tiny bag and then expanded into like 3x3 feet of moss. I havent had to buy any more since as I still have plenty, and some of it has started growing again after only a week.

I have heard that Maxea 16-16-16 makes sphagnum grow faster, unlike most fertilizers which kill or stunt it. Just be sure to dilute it though

Osmocote, it's a miracle! Use it on sphagnum :)

I bought the "Orchid Moss" from lowes.
The stuff is great. Heres what it will turn into if you keep it happy

IqYj0cX.jpg

Did it perchance say 150 grams and hail from Georgia?

Back