What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How important is day time or maximum temperature

Right now, I am unable to get my terrarium's night time temperature to drop. My max is 77 and low is 66. I can def get it below 60 if I just leave them in the garage. However, in that case the day time temperature will prob decrease to low 70's which would lover my max temperature. Is that okay for a Highland Nepenthes Terrarium?

Thanks!!

To have your highland nepenthes really flourish, you are going to want nights lower than 66.
Heating is always easier than cooling when it comes to a contained system like a terrarium. Something as cheap as a aquarium heaters in a couple inches of water in the bottom of the tank is plenty to get the temps up. specially if you do any sort of insulation on the tank. My lowland tank has the foil covered bubble wrap around it. I find it really helps hold the heat in. Depending on how cold your garage actually is, you might find that just your lighting and some insulation will be enough to get the temps up.

It isnt a good idea to let highland nepenthes go very long without nightly cooling.
The best and most recommended option is to used a converted fridge, or swamp cooler.
If everything else has failed or there is no other option, freezing bottles of ice works well,
especially in winter.

You should get that down to at least 55 or so degrees at night if you can. Highlanders don't need any higher than 70 degree days, in fact, from what I have gathered that is essentially the preferred daytime temperature.

It must not get any higher than 59-60° at night, with 45-55° being ideal for most HL-UHL species for long term health. Daytime temps should be 65-75° for best growth.

I don't know, I grew several highland species during the summer in temperatures ranging from 64 - 84 with no problems. You have to feed the plants if you're going to do this, though.

I don't know, I grew several highland species during the summer in temperatures ranging from 64 - 84 with no problems. You have to feed the plants if you're going to do this, though.

It depends which species, and for how long a period they are exposed to such temps. Don't expect to grow N. aristolochioides this way and have success!

It depends which species, and for how long a period they are exposed to such temps. Don't expect to grow N. aristolochioides this way and have success!

This is true, although those species included rajah, macrophylla, villosa, etc.. Strangely enough, given the reputations of those species, I find that the highland Sumatran species (like what Paul used as an example) are more sensitive to the actual drop at night than other factors. They certainly grew better for me when they were near a window experiencing temperatures in the high 40s.

Still, if your temperatures hover around 60F at night, you can get by if you regularly feed the plant. You'll essentially be restoring the the carbohydrates that the plant is losing at night from being too warm. Not ideal, but it offsets the issue.

I can def get it below 60 if I just leave them in the garage.
Is that also true for the summer months? Hopefully, you are also looking ahead because you'll still have these plants come July...

Is that also true for the summer months? Hopefully, you are also looking ahead because you'll still have these plants come July...

At least he has the bay area weather in his favor ;-)

Ya know, I thought abut what I'd do in the summer. Honestly, I think the garage is hotter in the summer. I'll prob have to invest in some heavy duty cooling equipment which I really don't want to. I just need to figure out what to buy.

45-55 is optimal. Sep for ultra highland. Some other species or hybrid I can get by with feeding them. I really don't want to feed them because I am scared I"ll over feed them and everything will die. F*CK............... Well, how much temperature does the ultrasonic fogger and fan drop? help? thanks everybody. Ya'll are amazing and saving me from killing my plants ^_^

Last edited:
I didn't realize you were in the Bay Area. Just grow your plants next to a window and open it at night. Doesn't it always get pretty cool there?

I started growing this year in August. Which means I haven't paid attention to potential grow areas in my house for Cps during summer here in the bay area. maybe this isn't as difficult as i think it'll be..........

Back