What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rafflesiana Help

NemJones

I Am the Terror Of the Night!
SO I bought this little Rafflesiana a few weeks ago, but Im becoming increasingly worried
about the plant.

pgH4Lul.jpg

It has a few dead leaves On the lower portion of the stem.
I noticed 3 or 4 small fungal growths on the dead leaves, but
I decided to check the lower stem as well, just to make sure.
(They looked like very tiny white pinheads)

I made a discovery and im not sure if this is normal, or a
dooming curse put upon my small plantling. IT looks
like the stem was somehow cut in half like a tree, exposing the
tissues inside of the stem. Im extremely worried that I will
lose this nep, or it will become horribly stunted.

In this photo, I have the stem and area in question outlined.
Green is the outer stem
Red is un known, most likely open stem tissues
Blue is root matter.

7V789BD.png

Here is the photo again without the color indicators.

WLP9jQo.jpg

And finally, an overhead look of the plant.
It seems to be growing at a steady but slow rate.
The newest leaf shows the weird coloration on a
couple of the leaves, where the veins seem to be a light copper color.
Is ANY of this normal?

olHRezS.jpg

Growing conditions are as follows:
Temps - 75-85
Humidity - 90%+
Light - 13-14 hours daily
Loose sphagnum soil with pumice chunks.

I have been blotting the area in question with paper towels
to combat fungal invasion, it seems to be working well for now.
They have been trying to make their way down.

If anybody can shed light on this issue or offer anything
how to fix this problem, I would be very grateful.
I dont want to watch this plant wither away.

Last edited:
It looks ok to me, and as long as it is still growing well it should be just fine. As for the damaged stem, Nepenthes are tough plants and the plant should be unaffected by it. Just keep growing it as a LL and it will most likely be fine.

It looks ok to me, and as long as it is still growing well it should be just fine. As for the damaged stem, Nepenthes are tough plants and the plant should be unaffected by it. Just keep growing it as a LL and it will most likely be fine.

Thanks Bio. Thats re-assuring. Im just hoping it doesnt affect the plant long term

If there is living root tissue below the area of concern on the stem, it's probably just old leaf matter that's built up on the outside, or an area where the leaf part has come fully off and you're seeing the hardened outer portion of the actual stem itself, which often turns black. rafflesiana is a lowland to ultralowland plant, so hot temps will help it grow faster, though your range is good for this time of year.
And that coloration you see in the new leaf is a sign that it's getting good light. Many of mine have leaves that are completely deep coppery in color or at least retain a healthy blush. The older dead leaves are normal, of course, as the plant will replace them as it grows and it's healthy to just cut them off so as not to promote fungus.

If there is living root tissue below the area of concern on the stem, it's probably just old leaf matter that's built up on the outside, or an area where the leaf part has come fully off and you're seeing the hardened outer portion of the actual stem itself, which often turns black. rafflesiana is a lowland to ultralowland plant, so hot temps will help it grow faster, though your range is good for this time of year.
And that coloration you see in the new leaf is a sign that it's getting good light. Many of mine have leaves that are completely deep coppery in color or at least retain a healthy blush. The older dead leaves are normal, of course, as the plant will replace them as it grows and it's healthy to just cut them off so as not to promote fungus.

Oh. well that clears up alot, thank you Hcarlton. I was worrying over nothing haha.
The area does look to be blackening up quite a bit so its probably exactly what you described,
and the lowland tank is directly above one of my lighting fixtures, so theyre probably
a bit warmer than 90.
All is well in the lowlander chamber

Well, I really didnt want to post here again, but I feel I have to. Of all my plants,
I really want to see this one take off.
This plant hasnt moved in months. For that matter, it hasnt moved
at ALL. Im beginning to worry If im doing something wrong, or if its just
un happy..

Is there anything I could to to perhaps give it a jump start?
would a coffee treatment awaken it or kill it?
Any help or ideas would be awesome.

Growing conditions are as follows:
Temps - 75-85
Humidity - 90%+
Light - 13-15 hours daily
Loose sphagnum soil with pumice chunks.

XvzozKi.jpg

Probably just slowing down from the lower temps, my lowlanders do that also when it cools, as long as it is not withering or something is not obviously wrong then it should be alright.

Probably just slowing down from the lower temps, my lowlanders do that also when it cools, as long as it is not withering or something is not obviously wrong then it should be alright.
Alright. Thanks Flynn thats what i was hoping. I wonder though, because i have a King Tiger X Mirabilis right next to the Rafflesiana and that plant is going MAD with growth.
3 new pitchers every 2 weeks or so. Im just hoping its species differentiating.

On 11/19 you said that you had gotten it a few weeks prior. It is just barely a month past that. If you have only had it for around 2 months (I am assuming here), you just need to be patient. Depending on where you got it from, and the conditions it was growing in there, it may just need more time to settle in. Patience, patience, patience. Its hard, but there is no way around it with neps. Some just take their sweet time to get restarted.

Last edited:
Probably just difference in genetics, king tiger could be a mix of a lot of different species unless you know the genetics on it, so it's possible there could be some more cold tolerant genes in there, and time is key with these plants also, so just have to wait and see

Last edited:
On 11/19 you said that you had gotten it a few weeks prior. It is just barely a month past that. If you have only had it for around 2 months (I am assuming here), you just need to be patient. Depending on where you got it from, and the conditions it was growing in there, it may just need more time to settle in. Patience, patience, patience. Its hard, but there is no way around it with neps. Some just take their sweet time to get restarted.

Ive had it for 4 months, but Its been in the current environment for roughly 2 months. I think im just being impatient, so
ill give it more time. thanks oregon

Probably just difference in genetics, king tiger could be a mix of a lot of different species unless you know the genetics on it, so it's possible there could be some more cold tolerant genes in there, and time is key with these plants also, so just have to wait and see
I know the genetics for a fact, but I think its just more vigorous. Either way.. I guess timing is key.

I agree. It looks healthy, so I can only picture that temperature is the problem. It would be best to either increase the temperature, or wait until temperatures rise in the spring.

Temps are probably key. The raffs in my greenhouse definitely slow down this time of year, the ones on the bottom shelves almost completely as the temps sit in the 60's and 70's for some time. Meanwhile, in the upper shelves where temps stay in the 70's to 90's even at this time of year, there's always growth. However, light levels can play a part, and this batch I know has the capacity to blush brown in the leaves. Get the lights high enough to make it do that and you might see growth. Otherwise, it's a waiting game.

Your plant looks perfectly fine.

Lowlanders love to be hot and steamy. I've never been able to get a lowlander too hot to where it suffered. I imagine it would be above 95 degrees where they start suffering.

Thank you to all who answered. As usual the plants are messing with me. A day after everybody replied, it started showing normal growth again.
thanks again

rRAYvry.jpg

Back