What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Variation in HL and LL tendril lengths?

Carnivoregon

IG carnivoregon_official
I want to propose a question with some pics for comparison. All of these leaves are at close to the same point in development. You will note that 2 have significantly longer tendrils. Is the tendril length before the leaf unfurls, in any way indicative of HL or LL genetics? Would love to hear some peoples thoughts on this. Also I would be happy to see some pics from members growing specifically HL or LL plants. It would be nice to do some comparing and see if we could come up with an answer. If we found that longer tendrils prior to unfurling had a tendancy to be LL, it would be easier to presume necessary conditions, or at least a good starting point for unidentified plants that some of us may bring into our collections. I have mostly hybrids so the best pics for comparison would come from the purists.

This is my mirabilis x (rafflesiana x ampullaria) LL Hybrid, note the tendril on the unfurled leaf is between 30-40% the size of the leaf itself.
yGDHwG9.png

Poi Dog showing a similar ratio.
DLnmygv.png

Ventrata has a significantly smaller tendril in comparison as does this other poi dog.
PYwDtwg.png

W1yYE7p.png

There is no correlation between tendril length and preferred altitude but rather by species. There are both LL and HL plants with exceptionally long tendrils.

/thread haha

Back