Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes Net Pots

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nepenthes Net Pots

With it being Black friday and all, Im gonna go and see if any of the remaining garden stores
    around town will have anything worth a look. However, Ive been really curious to see how
    these netted Hydroponics pots work for nepenthes. Does anybody use these/have any information
    on using them for tropical pitchers? MY pots are constantly moist and with every new day,
    I fear that the IRS will come for my plants. (Insidious Rot Syndrome.)
    Will the net pots help/are they good for these plants?

Last edited by NemJones; 11-28-2014 at 03:11 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I use these for Cephalotus. 5"-6" sized pots sold for ponds rather than hydroponics. They are pretty expensive in UK garden centres but I buy mine from eBay suppliers.

Cheers,
    Steve
    Proud holder of every species in the family Cephalotaceae in my collection.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like exactly the same as I use,also from a hydroponic supplier. Wish I had got square ones so that small plants took up less room apart from that I am happy with them
    Last edited by corky; 11-28-2014 at 11:14 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes they work and should cut down on rot. I use these almost exclusively and I need to water every day or two.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are hanging baskets intended for certain orchids that are constructed in this fashion.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well they do say nepenthes should be planted in an open airy mix, and these pots certainly allow air to get round the roots which surely has to be a good thing ? All my nepenthes are potted in 23cm square mesh pond baskets, which are cheap on ebay, and i've had no problems so far.
    What i have noticed though, is American growers seem to have access to much more open pots, like in the photo above, and square ones too. But in the UK, all i can seem to find are the much finer mesh pond baskets which restricts airflow a lot more.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is what I use!

Ramon

PNW: Lowlands of Puget Sound, WA-USA in a frost pocket
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had a N. x ventrata in a 6" mesh pot (similar to the original post) for over 5 years. It sits on the bottom level of a 4 level light tower and has one shoot (of several) that is over 6' long winding though the shelf slats and lights. It does tend to dry out rather quickly so to deal with this, it sits in a tray that holds the excess water after a typical once a week soaking. Usually 1/2" or so. When i see the tray dry I water again. Because of how well this plant has grown and my need to rely on tray watering I plan to shift over more of my Neps into mesh pots as I transplant them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast