What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep help

• Thread starter Jcal
  • Start date

Jcal

Decumbent Fanatic
What's wrong with my n. Rob?

I haven't changed any thing really. The heat has kicked on so maybe the rh has dropped a touch.

Any advise from the nep experts would be awesome!!!!

That's very odd behavior. Has it been repotted recently?

nope. been in the same pot for about a year now. the spagh is happy on top. been flushing with rain water. i really cant think of anything that has changed. other than humidity...maybe.

ive never seen the curled leaves on any neps. cant think of what the issue could be. im at a loss.

J,
I must admit, that is rather odd behavior. I've not seen any of my Nepenthes do that. You suggested maybe the humidity is lower, so I guess the question is: how much lower? I doubt we're talking 30% or some such thing....

Weird. I don't really have a good guess for that. I'm not saying this is definite, but leaves can curl in response to drought stress or root rot (leaves can't get water, show wilting). Granted, the curling is happening in a very strange way. Also, the leaf surface doesn't appear dehydrated.

But nevertheless, questions:
How are the roots?
How is the drainage from the media?
Is there good airflow to the roots in that glazed ceramic pot?
Is it possible the drainage hole is stopped up?
Diet of the plant?

Dunno but maybe a quarantine would be in order.Really weird have you used any chemicals on it like pesticides

Last edited:
But nevertheless, questions:
How are the roots? not sure. would have to dig it up.
How is the drainage from the media? drains well.
Is there good airflow to the roots in that glazed ceramic pot? not sure.
Is it possible the drainage hole is stopped up? nope
Diet of the plant? unchanged. water, ferts and cichlid pellets randomlly

Dunno but maybe a quarantine would be in order.Really weird have you used any chemicals on it like pesticides
nope. nothing out of the norm.
the only change is that i moved a few plants that was in from of it a few weeks ago. they could have created a small micro climate that it liked. now with the combo of moving them and the heat sucking up RH maybe it more than it wants to handle.

should i bother digging it up to check roots?

J,
I must admit, that is rather odd behavior. I've not seen any of my Nepenthes do that. You suggested maybe the humidity is lower, so I guess the question is: how much lower? I doubt we're talking 30% or some such thing....

ive never checked to be honest. no clue with it currently is. i live in the south so RH is naturally high.

This looks to be some kind of root issue. What media are you using ?

This looks to be some kind of root issue. What media are you using ?

That was my initial thought as well. You might be in for an unpleasant surprise when you explore the root system. I hope not, though.

live spagh with alittle perlite mix in.

And it doesn't sit in water, correct ?

Just a thought but you said the heat was kicked on? Ive seen this happen, not to nepenthes but other house plants, when the heat is comeing up from underneath the leaves begin to curl. if the heat is coming from underneath possibly try moving it or puting something so the heat is directed away from the plants

This is very odd but, I'm still going with a root issue of some sort.

Very strange Jcal. Heed the advice of those more experienced than I and check the roots!

May the CP gods have mercy on its soul.

Thank you all for your replies. Very much appreciated!

I'll try to get this plant repotted tonight. I don't have live spah so I'll have to use some dried stuff.

Just out of curiosity, are those deformed leaves producing pitchers?

Phew. I repotted and I believe this plant is back on track! Plant is working on a new leaf and the other leaves are more robust and not flimsy like they were. Lesson learned...

Last edited:
Phew. I repotted and I believe this plant is back on track! Plant is working on a new leaf and the other leaves are more robust and not flimsy like they were. Lesson learned...

What did you determine was its problem?

Back