Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Question?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question?

I am attempting to grow a few nepenthes seeds and was wondering if these indeed were actually beginning to grow or if they are something else. THey dont loog like the LFS growing around in the pot so i have hopes... just wondering from anyone with more experience from growing seed if this is what they look like or not..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some kind of grass. This stuff often pops out of LFS.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Until you see cotyledons/true leaves, you can't really know for sure if this is just weed seeds germinating (which almost ALWAYS happens in my seed pots) or actually Nepenthes seeds starting. It would be useful to know how many weeks ago you sowed the seeds. I have never witnessed germination in anything less than 6 weeks, with most taking 3 to 6 months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has been close to three months now. I labeled them at 9/17/2014. And Nothing has shown up like this yet. I will let them grow for a bit to see if they turn out to be anything
    Last edited by dci95; 12-02-2014 at 05:02 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are not Nepenthes seedling. But no reason to toss the whole pot, just get the grass seedlings out before they get too much roots going or you'll be fighting them forever (they come back from roots left underground).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dci95 View Post
    It has been close to three months now. I labeled them at 9/17/2014. And Nothing has shown up like this yet. I will let them grow for a bit to see if they turn out to be anything
    Ahhh! Lemme guess - you bought the seeds on eBay?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whimgrinder you are right. I did buy them on ebay and i know they are often questioned on viability. I was hoping maybe a few did actualy make it (possibly 4 or 5 seeds of the 4 pods i bought) but so far nothing...
    Last edited by dci95; 12-02-2014 at 07:05 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on the seller the viability of the seeds ranges from moderate to really bad. I don't buy anymore either due to length of time it takes to ship those seeds overseas and the chances that most are being poached.
    I have had seeds germinate in as little as 2 weeks, but that was one batch, and as Paul noted the average is closer to 2-4 months, some can take upwards to a year. What you have is definitely the grass you see oh so often in lfs though.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist