What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes villosa

Fantastic progress mate. Glad to see that the little fellas have come along a long way since 2009. Seems like just days ago when U showed us that first pic.

A classic beauty Butch! You're treating that villas quite well :)

Fantastic progress mate. Glad to see that the little fellas have come along a long way since 2009. Seems like just days ago when U showed us that first pic.

Thanks Carn, thanks V!!
Good to see you two "old timers" ;-)

IMG_20150515_104845.jpg

Absolutely incredible

Butch, in the right light, it almost looks like you know what you're doing.

Fantastic!

momma always said even a blind squirrel can occasionally find his umm... acorns

thank you old friend, btw how is the heli hybrid doing for ya?

pics?

wow B. Fantastic job mate. I miss my old N. villosa now. lol! Great job with your baby though. Clearly it is beckoning you to add more nepenthes to your grow space. ;)

I hear ya V, come here and untangle this one from the 3 surrounding helis that have all now become one

:p

at Fanuc robotics class this week, I like being the teacher much more than the student

me sleepy.... ZZzzzzz

Last edited:
I hear ya V, come here and untangle this one from the 3 surrounding helis that have all now become one

:p

at Fanuc robotics class this week, I like being the teacher much more than the student

me sleepy.... ZZzzzzz

Haha! Now you know how it feels being in class. :p lol

Butch, what's your light cycle on? How long are your lights on for?

hey josh..

ummm probably back up to 18/6
in winter i drop down to 12/12

this particular pitcher is shaded, but the rest of the plant is getting quite a bit.

Reason I ask, I used to run a constant 18/6 but thing were growing so slowly. Friend of mine got a butchensis from me and in a few months its twice the size of mine and the only thing different is the photo period.

I dropped down to 10.5/13.5 like he runs constantly and see how things do.

josh,

I wouldn't think reducing the photoperiod would result in twice the growth rate.
I guess anything is possible, but I have never observed this.

The limiting factor could be any number of things.

Parameters on top of the list are:
  • temps are not optimal (too low or too high)
  • water is too pure
  • diff in feedings (frequency, amount or type)

Last edited:
In my experience, that nighttime temperature drop trumped everything else. It is daunting to think that a tropical can experience near freezing temperatures in the wild. I had some under lights with 18/6 cycles, while others received natural light with a more varying photoperiod; but all of the rapid growth (well, as rapid as villosa can be) occurred in the Fall and Winter . . .

In my experience, that nighttime temperature drop trumped everything else. It is daunting to think that a tropical can experience near freezing temperatures in the wild. I had some under lights with 18/6 cycles, while others received natural light with a more varying photoperiod; but all of the rapid growth (well, as rapid as villosa can be) occurred in the Fall and Winter . . .

Good observations BigB & B. I found something similar as my macrophylla started getting larger. In summer, they stopped growing...look stunted and stressed. The moment winter rolled around, leaf growth resumed and it started growing a lot better. This time I am trying to use an AC to cool them...so lets see how it goes.

Back