What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No fluid in pitchers

I got my first nepenthes back in September (it's a poi dog but the guy at the nursery told me it's likely an N. Alata hybrid of some sort) and have been keeping it under my T5 lights since I don't have any adequate windows available. It seems to be growing well and has developed 2 new, much larger pitchers since I got it but none of them have any fluid inside. I tried dropping a bug in one of the new pitchers but it doesn't seem to have helped. I know it's probably too close to the lights but it doesn't seem to have affected the plant's growth. Any tips would be appreciated.

Here are some pictures of the plant when I got it and today.

iShmZMO.jpg
MWNDXMJ.jpg

Maybe you aren't keeping it watered enough? The pitchers won't be full of fluid but they should have some fluid in them.

Looks like the plant is exposed to open air so it will use a lot more water than a plant in my terrariums which is in 90% humidity.

Last edited:
Maybe you aren't keeping it watered enough? The pitchers won't be full of fluid but they should have some fluid in them.

Looks like the plant is exposed to open air so it will use a lot more water than a plant in my terrariums which is in 90% humidity.
I've been watering it every other day since it does go through water quickly. It seems to be enough.

The plant looks like it is doing pretty well. Especially considering that there is no water in the pitchers. Normally if a plant of mine has no fluid in its pitchers the pitchers will be wilted up and dessicated looking. Upping the watering can help as sword suggested but if the substrate is already kept sufficiently wet and it's just an ambient humidity thing then you could risk over-watering the plant and getting root-rot. Another thing you could do is just put a small amount of RO or distilled water into the pitchers and sort of artificially give them a little nudge that way.

Yeah, don't wanna keep the soil soaked too much and over water. You can try putting water in there but recognize that's not pitcher fluid so don't put water in there and fill it full of bugs, they'll just rot since it's not actual digestive fluid.

Maybe I'll give the distilled water a shot when the next pitcher opens up. I'll have to fish the bug out of the other one before I try to put any in there. Thanks for the suggestion.

When a pitcher initially opens it almost always has at least a small amount of digestive fluid already in there that you should be able to see if you hold the pitcher up to the light.

I see that nice forming pitcher in the background and I guess I am having trouble imagining it being 100% devoid of fluid. If that's not the case I wouldn't add any water to pitcher if it has even a very little natural fluid in it. When I say add water to pitchers I mean maybe a few drops out of an eye-dropper if it should be going completely dry.

Ultimately if the humidity in your environment isn't high enough for the pitchers to retain fluid, the plant will eventually adapt and just make smaller pitchers. But judging from your plant's recent growth it seems like it would have already been through the acclimation process. Unless, for some reason you had been keeping it in higher humidity during the first month or so and then there was a more recent drop. I could see this leading to nice large pitchers that just can't quite fill up before opening. Or maybe these Poi Dog hybrids are just beasts that don't even use pitcher fluid.

I don't know.

Well I may have spoke too soon. I checked the plant again this evening after the timer shut the lights off and was able to see a small amount of fluid in all the pitchers with a flashlight, including the one that hasn't opened yet. It is only filling about 10% of the pitcher volume at most which seems very low to me. Perhaps it is just low humidity that's the problem?

Why not just mix up some maxsea/ orchid fertilizer and spray it inside the pitcher = instant fluid replenishment :-))

Back