What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you recommend a Highland hybrid?

Even though my plan was to collect specials, I started looking at hybrids a while ago.

Xmas is coming and I want to get my self a few plant presents.

What's your fav hybrid?? and what would you recommend? or how to decide?

I love stripey peristomes so I lean towards those...anything with platy, spectabilis, lowii, truncata, vietchii, ect ect. There are to many to list lol

I second the above comment. Something involving spectabilis or lowii tends to be pretty foolproof. Spect also has a beautiful pattern throughout the pitcher in addition to the great peristome. Singalana also makes a great parent IMO because the pitchers have a great shape to them. If you want a hybrid with a potentially funky/interesting shape, then anything with jacq, aristolochioides, or epphippiata would suit you well.

I'm really liking glabrata x aristo. I'm also partial to anything with veitchii.

One of my very favorite hybrids I ever grew was N. spectabilis x talangensis, a truly beautiful plant.

I am currently growing N. spectabilis x singalana and I can say that it certainly oozes potential beauty.

I must say the N. burbidgeae x edwardsiana is quite beautiful.

I second N. glabrata x aristolochioides.

A small, but beautiful plant that seems to be as easy as N. spectabilis x aristolochioides.

Here is a pic of the whole plant.
1418513816416_zps2c7be12e.jpg~320x480

Last edited:
I must say the N. burbidgeae x edwardsiana is quite beautiful.

It is, but I caution inexperienced growers from attempting it! This is one of the most difficult hybrids in the market and is likely to prove very challenging to even the most experienced grower. There are many fine hybrids available that are just as beautiful and far less difficult to grow.
Oh, I would also like to point out that burbidgea X edwardsiana has inherited the burbidgea habit of rarely producing more than 1 or 2 pitchers at any given time. My plant has never had more than 2 at a time. It currently sports just one. (It produced a total of 2 in all of 2014)

One of my personal favorites is the 'Peter D'Amato' clone of N. Briggsiana (below), but its hard to obtain and often quite expensive.
briggsiana.jpg

Many excellent clones of N. Tiveyi are easy to grow and quite spectacular:
tiveyi-red-sept.jpg

Any hybrid with N. spectabilis is sure to be a winner, IMO.
N. lowii X spectabilis:
img_7546.jpg

N. sibuyanensis X spectabilis
:
img_5426.jpg

I second N. glabrata x aristolochioides.

And speaking of N. glabrata, the cross with N. talangensis is one of my favorite "miniature" Nepenthes:
20140729-150227-54147562.jpg

Thanks for the warning on N. burbidgeae x edwardsiana. I was under the assumption ALL hybrids are easier to grow. Good to know that some of them still remain challenging.

I've honestly never looked much into spectabilis and glabrata. However, all this pictures has changed my mind.

oh man... now i really want a lowii.......

If you can find a N. burbidgeae x edwardsiana and you really want it, I wouldn't be scared away of it if I were you. It is true that it is slower growing and more finicky about humidity and temperature changes, but it is still slightly more resilient than a lot of picky highlander species. I grew it somewhat successfully in a rather modest set up for a couple years and it provided me with happiness. It is well worth the trouble of growing too.

I've always wanted one as well!

That's a beauty Paul!

dexenthes, could you show your spec X sing please?

I just made the reverse cross myself - not knowing this one exists - and would like to see this potential.
Cheers

It doesn't currently have any pitchers on it, but here is a picture of an older pitcher it once had.

Last edited:
I have the singalana X spectabilis cross also. My impression is that its far less interesting than either parent and mine is rather reluctant to pitcher more than occasionally. Its on my cull list for these reasons.
No pics because its never inspired me to take any.

Hmm... I would be interested to see what N. singalana x spectabilis looks like.

I am a fan of N. spectabilis x singalana though, even at its very modest size the coloration and waistline of the pitchers my plant was producing were great. I imagine when it reaches maturity it will be stunning.

Thanks!
so far, singalana crosses turn out dark with slight ridges and teeth
Im not sure what spec BE used for theirs, but mine is the one with the beautiful peristome (ugly duckling I think?)
BE might have used the 'giant' form
either way
I was hoping for dark and stripy. this spec has imparted stripes on both other crosses I have used it with despite the seedlings being young

Cheers guys!

Back