Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Nepenthes nectar production and flavor comparison

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nepenthes nectar production and flavor comparison

I've only got one plant that's really drooling at the moment but it's got a good amount on it at the moment to where I felt compelled to see what the flavor was like. I think it would be fun if we could document which Nepenthes produce loads of nectar and what each plant might taste like.

N. talangensis x glandulifera - I think the closest thing I could compare the flavor of this plant to is agave syrup. Very light, yet sweet flavor.

LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is some serious nectar. My N. maxima (Wavy Leaf) makes a pretty good amount, sometimes it has little puddles on the tray below. I have admittedly tasted it, and it was sweet. I'll have to try it again with a more discerning pallet and try to make a comparison.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't have any data to add, but I'm wondering how different nectars might do in attracting different kinds of bugs. My raff. x amp. had a few ants crawling over it yesterday, and I can say that they love my Sarras too.

By the by, you didn't have an urge to fall into the pitcher, did you? :P

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I was small enough to do so, I would have become victim to my Nepenthes long ago.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586