User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it Illegal to Send Nepenthes Seeds Across Borders?

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it Illegal to Send Nepenthes Seeds Across Borders?

I've had multiple people message me on eBay asking if I can ship seeds to France, Brazil, etc... And I hate to tell them no, because it's probably very hard to find viable seeds there unless they know other hobbyists. However, I recall reading that it is illegal to ship Nepenthes seeds internationally without proper permits, so I put that at the bottom of my eBay listings. Am I correct, or CAN I in fact ship them overseas?

The only thing I can think of that might change the rule is that they're hybrid seeds coming from a temperate country, so it's not like I'm an illegal poacher in Baguio snatchin' all the seeds up. I know I can likely ship them overseas without "getting caught" because many people do that and nobody ever has a problem, but I know there can be huge fines for that stuff and I don't want to risk it.

Do I need like a CITES permit or something? Because TBH there's no environmental issue with me doing this. It also helps the United State's GDP so...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Technically permits are required to ship any plant material overseas. Permits for small lots of seed are required in this case.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CITES has nothing to do with hybrid seed/plant material. You need to contact your local Ag Agent to get specific information about your needs - but yes - some kind of permit is required.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3isawesome View Post
    live life to the fullest and break the laws
    I expect you are unaware that transgressions in the international trade of restricted materials - including harmless plants and seeds - fall under the jurisdiction of the Homeland Security Department. Yes, its true. Attempting to circumvent the regulations could have far-reaching and genuinely unpleasant consequences, should you get caught. Just as Dean Cook how these things play out.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...83829542,d.aWw I had a fellow from south America ask for me to send a utric starter inside a pen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What happened to Dean Cook?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelarge View Post
    What happened to Dean Cook?
    He imported some restricted plants from Europe and didn't get all the right documents for it, and got caught (The way he tells it, it was an unintentional mishap: he was NOT trying to circumvent the proper protocols - he just missed some important details, IIRC). He had to pay a hefty fine and he also had to do some community service work of some kind. I don't recall all the precise details, but that's the gist of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seeds under 500gr is perfectly legal. No permit needed.
    Last edited by Maiden; 01-18-2015 at 03:55 PM.
    Maiden

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast