Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Growing Nepenthes hamata on a windowsill

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm hoping to keep mine, I guess it's not a guaranteed cure huh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    I've not tried it, but I am sure it all depends on where in the world your windowsill is located.
    Yes - this makes a difference. Some in the Bay Area can grow theirs outside for most of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by w03 View Post
    Hmm, I think we're forgetting about elgecko and his famous magic window!
    Steve grew his for years in a window in SE PA. He periodically sold cuttings.

Quote Originally Posted by Sashoke View Post
    He just happened to hit the genetic lottery with that seed grown miracle.
    I haven't found N. hamata to be an overly demanding, finicky HL plant. I grew one in my office for over a year before it got too large & I had to move it to the basement. I've grown 3 different clones (2 Wistuba & 1 SG) & all have been very robust & retain their pitchers for long periods (surprising given how thin they are). Genetic lottery not necessary (imho) - absence of obliviousness probably helpful though ...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    Yes - this makes a difference. Some in the Bay Area can grow theirs outside for most of the year.

Steve grew his for years in a window in SE PA. He periodically sold cuttings.

I haven't found N. hamata to be an overly demanding, finicky HL plant. I grew one in my office for over a year before it got too large & I had to move it to the basement. I've grown 3 different clones (2 Wistuba & 1 SG) & all have been very robust & retain their pitchers for long periods (surprising given how thin they are). Genetic lottery not necessary (imho) - absence of obliviousness probably helpful though ...
    How is that sg hamata doing? I would love to see how it looks now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    okay this is great because it gives me more recreance to go buy this plant. I really wouldn't want to invest in a plant that i can easily kill. and yes the bay area weather helps ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heli View Post
    How is that sg hamata doing? I would love to see how it looks now.
    Really don't see any differences between it & other hamatas - which means it's toothy gorgeous - LOL. Currently has seven perfect pitchers & another is ready to pop open any day. It's also started to vine so I'm having an issue keeping it out of the lights -- aaargh. Not really possible to get an overall pic due to it being inter-twined with a N. robcantleyi (& Orchidioides utrics).

Quote Originally Posted by ps3isawesome View Post
    I really wouldn't want to invest in a plant that i can easily kill.
    That's probably still an option - much still depends on the specific conditions, the transition to those conditions & the observational skills of the grower.

Quote Originally Posted by ps3isawesome View Post
    and yes the bay area weather helps ^_^
    There's a board member (BigBella) that grows HL & UHL plants in that area, as well as others in the local CP Society - you may want to mine them for helpful tidbits of info. Also, from what I've heard, inland Bay Area has massively different temps than coastal Bay Area ...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    Really don't see any differences between it & other hamatas - which means it's toothy gorgeous - LOL. Currently has seven perfect pitchers & another is ready to pop open any day. It's also started to vine so I'm having an issue keeping it out of the lights -- aaargh. Not really possible to get an overall pic due to it being inter-twined with a N. robcantleyi (& Orchidioides utrics).

That's probably still an option - much still depends on the specific conditions, the transition to those conditions & the observational skills of the grower.

There's a board member (BigBella) that grows HL & UHL plants in that area, as well as others in the local CP Society - you may want to mine them for helpful tidbits of info. Also, from what I've heard, inland Bay Area has massively different temps than coastal Bay Area ...
    Oh wow thats amazing! Let me know if you ever take cuttings

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yup ther is a huge difference between inland and coastal. luckily i'm coastal

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123