What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing Nepenthes hamata on a windowsill

Does anybody else grow this outside of a terrarium or greenhouse?

Specifically on a windowsill?

Any thoughts on this?

Screen%20Shot%202015-01-24%20at%2011.50.52%20AM_zpsig9x4w4i.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The only hamatas that can be grown like that are seed grown miracles/mysteries of nature.
Youve seen the thread where the pitchers of somebodys hamata basically went mutant flesh pile from hot nights havent you?

Last edited:
I've not tried it, but I am sure it all depends on where in the world your windowsill is located.

Ya I agree with Dexenthes. I mean, no way Hamata can thrive if it's in say in Botswana or Nimibia

Last edited:
Perfectly feasible in the Uk.I grow mine open to house humidity as low as 40% under flo lights.Am sure it would grow twice as quickly in more ideal conditions but it grows and increases in size

He lives in Michigan somewhere, if I remember correctly.

nice photoshop ;) haha but seriously that guy broke life.

Hmm, I think we're forgetting about elgecko and his famous magic window! :p

Last edited:
Yep, that guy on facebook with the MASSIVE Hamata that he grows on his windowsill. Hes selling clones of it for like 100 bucks if I remember correctly. He just happened to hit the genetic lottery with that seed grown miracle.

Let me just use my college tuition on CPlants. SCREW college, I"m going to become a cp hoarder

Let me just use my college tuition on CPlants. SCREW college, I"m going to become a cp hoarder

The chances are that by the time you complete your education there will be a large number of people in the country who have your exact degree and or a very similar one and you will be competing with them in an ever more competitive job market. But if you spend that time hoarding carnivorous plants, the chances are much less likely that there will be a comparable number of people with as diverse of a collection as you could acquire.

DONE DEAL, I'm quitting tomorrow.

You guys will either see me on Hoarders or Intervention.

Hi my name is Ps3isawesome, P-s-3-i-s-a-w-e-s-o-m-e, I'm addicted to carnivorous plants. According to Statistics 34% of US adult americans will have experienced with cp addiction. Currently, there's no treatment.

Last edited:
Currently, there's no treatment.

College is the treatment. Did you know the leading cause of addicts under the age of 20 ending their carnivorous plant addiction has been attributed to attending higher education of some kind?

College is the treatment. Did you know the leading cause of addicts under the age of 20 ending their carnivorous plant addiction has been attributed to attending higher education of some kind?

Well, that seals the deal.

No college for me!

Well, I'm hoping to keep mine, I guess it's not a guaranteed cure huh?

I've not tried it, but I am sure it all depends on where in the world your windowsill is located.
Yes - this makes a difference. Some in the Bay Area can grow theirs outside for most of the year.

Hmm, I think we're forgetting about elgecko and his famous magic window! :p
Steve grew his for years in a window in SE PA. He periodically sold cuttings.

He just happened to hit the genetic lottery with that seed grown miracle.
I haven't found N. hamata to be an overly demanding, finicky HL plant. I grew one in my office for over a year before it got too large & I had to move it to the basement. I've grown 3 different clones (2 Wistuba & 1 SG) & all have been very robust & retain their pitchers for long periods (surprising given how thin they are). Genetic lottery not necessary (imho) - absence of obliviousness probably helpful though ... :0o:

Yes - this makes a difference. Some in the Bay Area can grow theirs outside for most of the year.

Steve grew his for years in a window in SE PA. He periodically sold cuttings.

I haven't found N. hamata to be an overly demanding, finicky HL plant. I grew one in my office for over a year before it got too large & I had to move it to the basement. I've grown 3 different clones (2 Wistuba & 1 SG) & all have been very robust & retain their pitchers for long periods (surprising given how thin they are). Genetic lottery not necessary (imho) - absence of obliviousness probably helpful though ... :0o:

How is that sg hamata doing? I would love to see how it looks now.

okay this is great because it gives me more recreance to go buy this plant. I really wouldn't want to invest in a plant that i can easily kill. and yes the bay area weather helps ^_^

Back