What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help~~ something attacked my outdoor pitchers

I woke up this morning to a disaster.

This two pitchers had TONS of nectar dripping down so I assume whatever it was, was trying to get out.

I could be wrong, but I just don't know what kind of SAVAGE would destroy my pitches like this and leave everything else alone.

What do i do?? Wires? Fences?

IMG_0163_zpspq3yvpht.jpg

IMG_0164_zps9f9q08xc.jpg

My best guess, would be avian menaces (birds). It looks like other bird damage I've seen.

Though there are many different possibilities; squirrel, cat, bird, rodent, etc. I once even had mice eat the Sarracenia seeds from the surfaces of pots I had sown them in; and, once surveyors pulled their line across my Sarracenia, in bud, and decapitated 80% of that seasons Sarracenia flowers. If they have access, birds and squirrels will readily uproot potted plants to dig through their roots and media.

Ever since the mice, I've taken more certain measures (such as 1" or smaller, mesh fencing, to exclude most pests).

Last edited:
Thanks Joseph. I'll go out to Home Depot and buy some protection for my poor plants.

WHY WOULD ***** BIRDS DO THIS!!! they don't even like nectar. Can I swear on this forum?

Also, thanks for giving me heads up about the seeds. Cause I am also sewing seeds outdoors. Never in a million years would I guess they'd get eaten.

Stellar Jays have been known to mess with my poor fly traps on the porch.

If it were, birds, and it probably is, I'd guess that they're just, "looking" for insects. It's the "looking", that we'd rather they did, in a less destructive way. Eyes, instead of beak and claws.

Last edited:
"Something."

*Flashback to 3 days ago*
IMG_0136_zpsdmoupecb.jpg

"I released him in my backyard........"

"Something."

Last edited:
Well no good deeds goes unpunished. That caterpillar must have whispered to those birds and demanded that they destroy my pitchers.

Again confirming your Dustox sucks, I prefer Beautifly.

such a slap in my face

Last edited:
Well no good deeds goes unpunished. That caterpillar must have whispered to those birds and demanded that they destroy my pitchers.

Again confirming your Dustox sucks, I prefer Beautifly.

such a slap in my face

I think a more likely scenario is that the caterpillar made his way back, fleeing from the birds. In his panick to hide, he fell into a pitcher. Then the birds, desperate for a meal, began tearing the pitchers apart trying to get to the caterpillar.

Last edited:
Caterpillar = bird bait

What the caterpillar doesn't get, the birds get, in their efforts to find more caterpillars, after they take out the ones they can find.

And, of course, there are birds that eat both insects and plants.

Last edited:
Back