Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes Nomenclature

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Clemens View Post
    [though N. x trusmadiensis is not an accepted name, it is actually, N. macrophylla x lowii][/COLOR]

Not accepted by who?
    Last edited by mato; 02-02-2015 at 01:36 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Lowii View Post
    How can you be sure that the mother plant is N. platychila?

It could just as easily be N.(fusca x platychila) x parentage or N. Platy x {N. fusca x N. (veitchii x platy}
    Exotica Plants, believe they found all three of these species in the mix via the breeding program.
    The point is N. platy is a dominant parent, something that has been established via EP's breeding with N.rajah, N.villosa and N.maxima, so ultimately there's no real way to know the parentage of the BE TC plants, labelling then " N. Platy x " is a bit too convinient in my opinion.
    Well because the seed was collected from a platychila plant in the wild. Honestly, I think its pointless to try to classify it as anything besides N. platychila, many supposed species obviously have some influence from other species, N. macrophylla for example. I think this whole platychila business is an attempt by EP to antagonize Rob, the same thing happened with N. robcantleyi.
    Last edited by Heli; 02-02-2015 at 05:53 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if N. x trusmadiensis [it appears this supposed nothospecies was published as N. trusmadiensis, not the nothospecies N. x trusmadiensis]is not a legitimate nomenclature, then many of the Sarracenia natural hybrid nomenclature are not legitimate either, ie: S. x readii, S. x catesbaei, S. x exornata, S. x excellens.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 02-03-2015 at 07:26 PM.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which will be argued here shortly as the case. However, the widely accepted denotation for many of these hybrids (be they "official" or not) is understood by the vast majority and does describe to us what the plant pertains to be. And many of these names have been in existence for far longer than we've had the official, register-by-publication nomenclatural rules, so it's somewhat pointless to argue against those at this point, partly because they will continue to be accepted by the vast majority of growers and numerous authors of scientific papers (I have saved a few as I had a project recently on Sarracenia phylogeny) and those that are official and accepted are almost impossible now to separate from those that aren't. N. x kinabaluensis is recognized by some to be a species in its own right due to populations occurring now that are self-sustaining, same with N. x trusmadiensis.
    As with all nomenclature and new species/hybrid descriptions, it partly lies upon the individual as to whether or not they wish to accept the name as extant or not. Some great examples of this: N. robcantleyi, N. hemsleyana, the vast majority now of the "N. alata" complex, etc.
    Last edited by hcarlton; 02-02-2015 at 06:41 PM.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clumpers vs. splitters

Technically they should all be considered one species because they can almost all interbreed with one another and create fertile offspring.

I'm for Nepenthes all being subspecies!

But seriously, if N. x trusmadiensis [it appears this supposed nothospecies was published as N. trusmadiensis, not the nothospecies N. x trusmadiensis]isn't accepted as the name for that naturally occurring hybrid, then I guess... wow -

There seems to be a global Nepenthes industry that needs to be informed of that.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 02-03-2015 at 07:08 PM.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    But seriously, if N. x trusmadiensis [it appears this supposed nothospecies was published as N. trusmadiensis, not the nothospecies N. x trusmadiensis] isn't accepted as the name for that naturally occurring hybrid, then I guess... wow -

There seems to be a global Nepenthes industry that needs to be informed of that.
    Its a global conspiracy! Wake up sheeple!
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 02-03-2015 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Nomenclature

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heli View Post
    Its a global conspiracy! Wake up sheeple!
    ~Burgeoning connoisseur of all things ventricosa or otherwise tubby.~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heli View Post
    Well because the seed was collected from a platychila plant in the wild. Honestly, I think its pointless to try to classify it as anything besides N. platychila, many supposed species obviously have some influence from other species, N. macrophylla for example. I think this whole platychila business is an attempt by EP to antagonize Rob, the same thing happened with N. robcantleyi.
    I don't think that's necessarily true, like I said N. platychila genes are more dominant than that of N. fusca. How could you really know if say hypothetically a N.fusca female (hose mtn's form) was pollinated by a N.platychila male. The seed then germinated and you had a plant that looked primarily like N.platychila, this plant then flowered many years on, this plant then again was pollinated by say N.platychila and the seed that made it to TC came from this plant. So what you can potentially have it TC is N. (fusca x platychila) x N.platychila.

I have 3 mature distinct clones from the 12 BE TC clones and none of them match Chien's description. The leaf apex is either acute or the decurrency doesn't continue for more than half of the stem between the internodes, the widest peristome has been 2cm, no where near the extreme of 3.3 cm that Chien wrote about. Some carry appendages, which again counter the description.

I have another 7 immature plants from the BE TC range, so hopefully once they've all grown on, unless there are many repeat clones, it will be safe to say almost none of them match the description.

The few wistuba clones I have seen do not look any more promising than the BE ones. I don't think Chien's description is off or wrong, as I have seen these...

And the leaves and pitchers match the description.
    I love the smell of nep pollen in the morning..........smells like victory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast