User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes at the Orchid Show (POE in San Francisco)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My friend that I met up with was really excited about meeting Vendor 1 and seeing his plants after reading the Palo Alto Online article. I think she got a couple Nepenthes from him.

Vendor 3 is at pretty much all the major California Orchid shows. His plants are amazing, and he attracts the hard core people interested in species Orchids. I believe he makes it to shows elsewhere in the country as well.

I saw Vendor 2 and I believe Vendor 3 at the "Orchids in the Park" show in Golden Gate Park (on the edge of Strybing Arboretum/SF Botanical Garden) last summer. Hopefully they will be there this year as well. I'm not finding info on it yet, but last year it was August 2-3. So we don't even have to wait a year for a repeat.

I even managed to park for free for the POE. I always park for free at Strybing (site of the other show).

We really are lucky that all of these people come to shows locally.
    Last edited by RandyS; 02-25-2015 at 09:56 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ooh it's happening again this weekend? I am really considering it as I heard some of our local vendors showed up. Are the plants any cheaper?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's all over at this point--and those guys probably need a rest. After quite a bit of looking, I'm unable to find when the "Orchids in the Park" will be, let alone who will be selling there.

From what I noticed prices may have been comparable to what is online, at least for Vendor 2. But possibly he picked plants that were particularly nice? If they all look like that, then I'm even more impressed. I'm not familiar with Vendor 1's prices, although quality and price at the show seemed comparable to Vendor 2. Of course the advantage of going to something like this is that the buyer gets to pick exactly what he or she thinks is best, plus there's no trauma from mailing and possibly unpotting, and so on.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some Nepenthes plants that where displayed. How interesting the BiOrb with climate control device. Enjoy.

Ramon

N. maxima x TM

N. densiflora x robcantleyi

N. truncata

N. Xtrusmandiensis clone 2

N. eymae x jacquelinae

N. sp or hybrid?

BiOrb
    Last edited by rdlsreno; 02-28-2015 at 09:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to get my hands on that bio sphere! Who makes it?
    Last edited by Darkshroud; 02-28-2015 at 01:47 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I knew someone here must have taken pictures of those plants. Thanks, rdlsreno/Ramon!

I just looked up the terrarium and it's called a "biOrb Air Terrarium".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyS View Post
    I knew someone here must have taken pictures of those plants. Thanks, rdlsreno/Ramon!

I just looked up the terrarium and it's called a "biOrb Air Terrarium".
    I just found it, its almost $600! The only issue I see is the lighting. It uses 6 led array. Not sure what the lumens are. It has a lot of features apparently. And its a 16 gallon model. In the picture it looks a lot smaller.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I remember the one at the show was part of the silent auction. You can see a bidding sheet next to it, as well as similar ones next to bottles of wine.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast