User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 17 to 24 of 33

Thread: Nepenthes at the Orchid Show (POE in San Francisco)

  1. #17

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    San Carlos, CA
    Posts
    337
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the terrarium itself was worth $600, it's a little surprising they didn't find a $100 Nepenthes to put in it. Not that there's anything "wrong" with the one there...

  2. #18

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyS View Post
    If the terrarium itself was worth $600, it's a little surprising they didn't find a $100 Nepenthes to put in it. Not that there's anything "wrong" with the one there...
    They were probably just using an example. Would have looked cool if they had a hamata or something like that for display.

  3. #19
    I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    1,161
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't imagine spending $600 on a novelty terrarium. So many plants you could get instead and a decent setup for that amount...
    -Josh
    Grow list

  4. #20
    jurow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California
    Posts
    104
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting those pictures Ramon. I was a bit too busy dealing w/ the setup & sales to take any of my own.

    That dark plant that "vendor #1" brought was a hybrid. It was either ramispina x ?, izumiae x ?, or maybe even izumiae x ramispina. Can't remember. Did you get a full-shot of his display table? It was awesome.

    As for the orb: it's a really cool setup if you have the $$ to throw around. I donated the carnivorous plants, and since this was an orchid-focused show, beginner plants seemed like a better idea than something extremely rare/difficult.

  5. #21

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    San Carlos, CA
    Posts
    337
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jurow, the terrarium looked great and people were commenting on it when I was in that area.

    I'm going to assume you did in fact pick the "$100 Nepenthes" to put in there. Current selling price is not the only measure of value.

  6. #22
    rdlsreno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    184
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jurow View Post
    Thanks for posting those pictures Ramon. I was a bit too busy dealing w/ the setup & sales to take any of my own.

    That dark plant that "vendor #1" brought was a hybrid. It was either ramispina x ?, izumiae x ?, or maybe even izumiae x ramispina. Can't remember. Did you get a full-shot of his display table? It was awesome.

    As for the orb: it's a really cool setup if you have the $$ to throw around. I donated the carnivorous plants, and since this was an orchid-focused show, beginner plants seemed like a better idea than something extremely rare/difficult.
    Sorry jurow I did not take the whole display.

    Ramon

  7. #23
    jurow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California
    Posts
    104
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rdlsreno View Post
    Sorry jurow I did not take the whole display.

    Ramon
    Bummer. I'm sure he got a few pictures.

  8. #24

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    San Carlos, CA
    Posts
    337
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to update. I linked to this thread elsewhere and I noticed I had mentioned the "Orchids in the Park" as a possible partial repeat of some of these plants/vendors. I see a little info on that event is now online, but no vendor list for this year. July 25-26, County Fair Building, SF (adjacent to Styrbing, aka SF Botanical Garden).

    http://www.orchidsanfrancisco.org/orchidsinthepark.html

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •