User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes at the Orchid Show (POE in San Francisco)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nepenthes at the Orchid Show (POE in San Francisco)

Possibly this comes close to violating prohibitions on mentioning vendors, but I'll do it anyway. If it crosses a line it should be deleted. It seems sad that people in the SF Bay Area might be unaware of a local event which is a great opportunity to buy Nepenthes--simply because it is in the context of an Orchid show.

Unfortunately my camera was dead, so I don't have any photos of when I was there. I will mention that there were two outstanding vendors, whose selling areas were adjacent, both with stunning display plants and beautiful plants for sale. There were also a number of other Nepenthes for sale by other (primarily Orchid) vendors. And of course many of the Orchid sellers were also selling Pinguiculas.

One of the CP vendors was also selling a really nice variety of ant plants.

Here's what I left with, from one of the CP vendors. Nepenthes platychila x robcantleyi and N. spathulata x spectabilis 'Giant'

Both of the CP vendors are very knowledgeable and friendly, so a great environment to both learn about the plants as well as to leave with some.

The show is at the Fort Mason Center, continuing this weekend, $15 admission.

Maybe someone else got some pictures? The display plants from the CP vendors were truly amazing.

Edit: POE stands for Pacific Orchid Exposition.
    Last edited by RandyS; 02-21-2015 at 02:57 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Pacific Orchid Expo was a great show!

I picked up a N. hamata, N. miranda, a Cephalotus, and a Dendrobium kingianum.

Last edited by Alvin 415; 02-23-2015 at 04:12 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man that sounds like a blast. It would be fun to attend that some day.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The show was a great time. Wish I had taken some pictures, but ended up getting way too busy.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice! In my area once a year at a large plant sale/exchange a few neps might show up. That is about it save for some of the death cubes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remembered that I asked a friend to take a photo of one of the vendors' ant plants. Here it is. I think that there were more, including a narrow leaved species, that did not make it into this photo:

I feel silly not mentioning vendors by their names, or the name of their nursery, or even their user name. I'm trying to respect the rules of this forum. I would only have more good things to say. i should probably fight to change these rules, as I think they are counterproductive; however as long as they are in place I will try to respect them.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyS View Post
    I feel silly not mentioning vendors by their names, or the name of their nursery, or even their user name. I'm trying to respect the rules of this forum. I would only have more good things to say. i should probably fight to change these rules, as I think they are counterproductive; however as long as they are in place I will try to respect them.
    Lol, it's not worth it. It's like the mutant VFT debate, it will always arise from time to time and it never really goes anywhere or accomplishes anything. There are many people that share the same sentiment though.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope to see more CP vendors there in the future.

I bought the hamata and the ceph from Vendor 1 who is a really good guy I've known for years. He was recently featured in an article titled Beauty Lures the Beasts on Palo Alto Online. Some great pictures in the article.

Vendor 2 is another good guy who is the president of our local CP club. I bought a nep and an orchid from him. I did see the ant plants. They look pretty interesting.

The non-CP vendor where I spent the most time was this really interesting store that sold Orchids on a Stick - orchids mounted vertically on branches, bark, and boards. Vendor 3 had some really interesting stuff. Alas, I had already bought enough stuff, so I didn't get anything from them at the show.

Edit: I almost forgot to mention that a vendor (not a vendor at the Expo), but some folks from a vendor 50 miles north of San Francisco were at the show shopping also. It was good to see them!
    Last edited by Alvin 415; 02-25-2015 at 04:19 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast