User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anthony needs your help diagnosing his Nepenthes (NOT FOR ME)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just because 9 out of ten plants do NOT show sensitivity to mineral exposure doesn't mean the tenth one isn't going to. But you seem to have come to your own conclusions and don't require any more advice - so - good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    Just because 9 out of ten plants do NOT show sensitivity to mineral exposure doesn't mean the tenth one isn't going to. But you seem to have come to your own conclusions and don't require any more advice - so - good luck.
    WOW! 1st off as I said i've hade this plant for a long while almost 2 yrs. I am trying to discover the problem with it at the moment. It has been getting the same spritzing for the full time, I've had it, with no ill effects. I have seen the folks at CC spray theirs as well, I use the exact same amount of maxsea to water ratio, maybe slightly less maxsea usually. SO is it possible this plant wanted to act up now, sure. In which case i can hold off on spritzing this one for awhile. Again covering bases. Is it more likely that its something newer that started about the time that the damage started?

Ive gotten lots of advice form folks here and another forum, thinking it could be
    -to much light
    -to little light
    -sunburn
    -not enough humidity
    -not enough heat
    -and you - maxsea/mineral issue
    As stated above i've taken them all and acted accordingly. I would hardly call that coming to mu own conclusions. I thank you for your advice, but its up you if you choose to give me more or not. i'll be ok if you don't.
    Last edited by Raven_SF; 03-02-2015 at 02:52 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always thought the flaking look was from the waxy coating of the leaf. I will see it occasionally when acclimating plants as they transition to lower or higher humidity levels.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those whitish deposits on the leaves are either minerals from the water or from fertilizers misted / sprayed on them. My Nepenthes ramispina did make a waxy coating on the leaves but it was an even coating to protect it from strong light, it doesn't appear in the drips and droplet form. You can remove the deposits easily enough. Use pure R/O or distilled water you can wipe that stuff off - you can use a bit of lemon juice or apple vinegar added to the water if pure water doesn't dissolve it. The deposits can lead to over fertilization (mineral burn) as well the stains are blocking light from reaching the plants effectively.

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my plants has that strange residue on it as well.
    I got it that way and no matter how hard i scrub the leaves, it stays there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swords is right. Just went out to the greenhouse and wiped a little off. It was always on the older leaves so just assumed it was moving towards a higher wax stage.

The plants were doing that too, you just don't see it at white flaky stuff

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12