What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anthony needs your help diagnosing his Nepenthes (NOT FOR ME)

Hey all you nepenthes expert, Anthony needs your advice

"my 1st thought was sunburn, but non of the other Neps around it has this. This is a N. Rajah x Mira, and it has been in the same spot for almost a year now. It was nice and healthy all summer and produced a pretty pitcher that lasted nearly all summer. "

file.php

I'm not an expert, but are those mineral deposits on the lower left leaf?

I'm not an expert, but are those mineral deposits on the lower left leaf?

they are not mineral deposits. its from the diluted maxsea spray I use. It dries on the leaves

We need some conditions here. Im shooting blind because this looks like everything between burns,
pesticide damages, miracle gro, and calcium deficiency.

Here's a pic of his set up
file.php

and this is his condition
temps are high around 70 daytime (give or take), around 55-50 night temps

Too much light, cold damage and lack of humidity are my bets

Last edited:
they are not mineral deposits. its from the diluted maxsea spray I use. It dries on the leaves

By definition, those are mineral deposits. If you're applying that much MaxSea to your plants foliage, then its likely to have a toxic effect. There are likely other cultivation problems here, but that one factor alone is significant and likely a contributor. There's no doubt about it - there's something seriously wrong for a plant to behave this way.

I took it to a friend that owns a plant store here in SF, who also has a nice Nep collection. He does not think its sunburn, due to the fact that it has been in this spot thru the summer months when it was much hotter and the sum much more intense than now. He thinks its some type of chemichal issue. We think we narrowed it down as I talked with him more. Its not the mazsea, the solution is very very diluted and all my other 30+ plants (including another Rajah x Mira) get the same quick spays once and a while, also I've been doing this to this plant for over a year and a half.... so it must be something more recent, as you can see most of the lower leaves are not effected or very much compared to the more recent ones. We think its the Osmocote pellets that I've experimented with. After reading a blog by Peter D'Amato at California Carnivoures, I thought I'd give it a try. I put a pellet in the pitcher when it had one as well as my others. I haven't seen any difference in any of the plants so far, but I think this plant might have been effected negatively. It's really the only thing that has changed in the last few months. Perhaps this Nep is more sensitive than others

I have repotted the plant, sprayed it with a systemic pest killer spray, moved it to slightly less sunny spot, and raised the humidity. I think I covered all the bases there. There is a new leaf forming, and fingers crossed that it is healthy. Also interestingly enough when I was repotting, it appears there is a basil starting to grow just beneath the surface of the soil.

I will keep you posted as to its health the next little while

Last edited:
Just because 9 out of ten plants do NOT show sensitivity to mineral exposure doesn't mean the tenth one isn't going to. But you seem to have come to your own conclusions and don't require any more advice - so - good luck.

Just because 9 out of ten plants do NOT show sensitivity to mineral exposure doesn't mean the tenth one isn't going to. But you seem to have come to your own conclusions and don't require any more advice - so - good luck.

WOW! 1st off as I said i've hade this plant for a long while almost 2 yrs. I am trying to discover the problem with it at the moment. It has been getting the same spritzing for the full time, I've had it, with no ill effects. I have seen the folks at CC spray theirs as well, I use the exact same amount of maxsea to water ratio, maybe slightly less maxsea usually. SO is it possible this plant wanted to act up now, sure. In which case i can hold off on spritzing this one for awhile. Again covering bases. Is it more likely that its something newer that started about the time that the damage started?

Ive gotten lots of advice form folks here and another forum, thinking it could be
-to much light
-to little light
-sunburn
-not enough humidity
-not enough heat
-and you - maxsea/mineral issue
As stated above i've taken them all and acted accordingly. I would hardly call that coming to mu own conclusions. I thank you for your advice, but its up you if you choose to give me more or not. i'll be ok if you don't.

Last edited:
I always thought the flaking look was from the waxy coating of the leaf. I will see it occasionally when acclimating plants as they transition to lower or higher humidity levels.

Those whitish deposits on the leaves are either minerals from the water or from fertilizers misted / sprayed on them. My Nepenthes ramispina did make a waxy coating on the leaves but it was an even coating to protect it from strong light, it doesn't appear in the drips and droplet form. You can remove the deposits easily enough. Use pure R/O or distilled water you can wipe that stuff off - you can use a bit of lemon juice or apple vinegar added to the water if pure water doesn't dissolve it. The deposits can lead to over fertilization (mineral burn) as well the stains are blocking light from reaching the plants effectively.

One of my plants has that strange residue on it as well.
I got it that way and no matter how hard i scrub the leaves, it stays there.

Swords is right. Just went out to the greenhouse and wiped a little off. It was always on the older leaves so just assumed it was moving towards a higher wax stage.

The plants were doing that too, you just don't see it at white flaky stuff :)

Back