What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I be concerned about the coloring on this leaf?

Well, as you can see this isn't the oldest leaf. But it certainly is browning a lot faster than other leafs.

I assume its just normal browning but want to be sure, thanks!

IMG_0509_zpsp0wrhfh7.jpg

To be honest, I really dont think any of the coloring on that plant looks very good.

What does the coloring indicate to you? i sometimes think the distance between the plant and light is too close, but i dont'know.

Last edited:
Im relatively new to Carni plants, so I COULD be wrong, but it looks like that plant might be suffering.
The yellow usually isnt a very healthy color. It could be water or light issues.

What are your current setup specs?

Light's on 12 hours a day and is about 9 inches away from the plant

Day time avg temp = 70~73
Night time avg temp = 51~53
Day time avg humidity = 80~90%
Night time avg humidity = 95~98%

This is how it looked when I first got it
IMG_2401_zpsqmamylw5.jpg

Last edited:
I think the discoloration is due to your temps being too low. N. x Caesarion is a lowland hybrid (unless the N. veitchii used in the cross was the highland form, therefore still making it an intermediate grower). Your temps are perfect for highlanders, but not this cross. Has the plant been growing slowly?

What Light is on 12 hours a day and is about 9 inches away from the plant?

Woah..... I feel super retarded. I just went to the sellers site and clearly, the temperature requirements went over my head
Day Temperature:
70° - 85°F.
Night Temperature:
60° - 70°F.

WELL, what should I do now? Should I just leave it on a windowsill? oh my god .... I'm embarrassed.....

It's been putting out pitchers left and right, one bigger than the other.

The light fixture is Sun Blaze 24

Last edited:
If it's not the HO version, it was probably fine. I would find a way to semi-slowly move it to a more correct area. I wouldn't just move it, but I wouldn't bother with taking weeks to make the change either.

Well, if the plant is growing perfectly fine (with the exception of the funny coloration), you might not have to move it - most Nepenthes are far more adaptable than we give them credit for, especially hybrids involving N. truncata, such as this one. If not, I suppose you could always go with the classic "plastic baggie on windowsill" approach, although I'm not sure how well it would survive like that...

Ok, so this is a completely irrelevant thought, but since Nepenthes are dioecious plants, would it be correct to refer to them as "it"? I've always called them "it" instead of "him or her" since it's pretty much impossible to tell the gender without flowers, and most photos of Nepenthes I see are lacking in flowers... Sorry if I wasted someone's time going off on my tangent.

uhhhh so the light is HO i just looked the box

IMG_0510_zps5yloe4mj.jpg

WELL... I use to keep one of my plant in this xoxo box and the temperate was constantly around 60~80.

maybe that'd work?

IMG_1920_zps9b30a5e1.jpg

N. truncata is a very tolerant species especially as parentage material; I doubt there will be need for high humidity to be kept up if it can be acclimated. Moving it somewhere warmer will help, otherwise with the size of the pitchers it's producing it looks pretty okay. If the lighting or another issue is causing discoloration the plant will alert you eventually.

That sounds like approval to leave it as is. Thanks guy!

I think your plant is just darkening up, it may not have received as intense of light in its previous conditions. If it's pitchering and growing there is nothing to worry about.

I swear you are a hypochondriac about your plants . . . :lol:

i am ~~~~~~~~~~~!!!!!!!!!!!!! You know me so well Dexenthes :)

Truthfully I"m just kinda clueless and even after some research i still feel the need to ask question LOL.

But ya, I don't want them to die :(, then i'd have to spend more money buying them back :p

Back