Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alata Identification

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu138 View Post
    This plant is more than likely x ventrata. The peristome looks a bit too robust to be pure alata or graciliflora. Another pitcher or 2 should give it away for sure. The source may also be the answer, where did you get it ?
    No doubt it's some kind of Ventrata and thanks for the pictures The plant is just over 18" tall and some more pitchers are coming out now but it's lacking the Vent. colouring & bulbous butt I'd expect from a direct cross. Would a Ventrata x Graciliflora be more likely than, say, Ventrata x Alata?

I was from a nursery that supplies garden centres. I contacted them and they said it was a "Nepenthe" (no S... even on their labels, grrr) Alata cross created by their supplier and grown via tissue culture to keep them identical. I doubt I'll get any more out of them as most places are precious about their suppliers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the provenance information, I think it's safe to say that the plant is N. x ventrata. Nepenthes x "ventrata" is a horticultural cross of Nepenthes ventricosa and Nepenthes alata. It is by far the most common Nepenthes found in cultivation and one of the very few regularly available at garden centers.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And to add to the confusion, the "alata" parent used probably was the pink graciliflora that is commonly grown, hence the smooth, wingless and bulbous pitchers the hybrid produces. A lot of people say it's "ventrata x alata," but it's probably the just the primary hybrid.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hahah, oh my.

hcarlton, you posted a picture a while back of a Ventrata, the peristome being the obvious thing there in that it is very Ventricosa. Graciliflora certainly looks like a good candidate for a cross.

One thing that popped into my head this morning was, perhaps, if this plant I have was an intermediate cutting off a vining mother Ventrata and that's why it has lost most of what I'm expecting from a Ventrata and looking more like a weird horticultural medley. Again I have absolutely no doubt it's Ventrata, but it just doesn't seem like most things I can find on the 'net. I have some rooted basal shoots from it, but heading into winter now so might not see any results for a while. Grasping at straws, probably!
    Last edited by bluemutiny; 03-31-2015 at 06:22 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your pitcher looks like it's still in a young stage. Young pitchers tend to deform more readily than fully mature pitchers, or at least show traits not typical to the species/hybrid.
    Also, as for the "ventrata" pic, my most recent post shows a pitcher with a very notable peristome that reveals the ventricosa parentage.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12