Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neps as epiphytes?

How does one grow Neps as an epiphyte?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have absolutely no experience with this, but I would assume that you would have to germinate the seeds on a suitable surface, since nep roots aren't known for readily clinging to exposed new surfaces when moved...I don't think they adjust well to a root-over-rock bonsai type approach. I can say, however, that high humidity and moist conditions will be a must, otherwise the roots will dry out and die within a matter of days. You could always cheat though, and cleverly disguise a pot under a bed of moss on a branch
    Last edited by SerMuncherIV; 04-12-2015 at 08:24 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would imagine that this would be a viable method of growing many types of Nepenthes. This would be especially true for the species that are known to primarily grow as epiphytes in the wild. One might expect that it may grow slower or be smaller in general than if it were to have more room for its roots to expand. Keeping the humidity high would certainly be a top priority if you were to try growing a plant this way.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    One might expect that it may grow slower or be smaller in general than if it were to have more room for its roots to expand.
    I don't know about this. A tree trunk or branch covered with mosses, epiphytic ferns, orchids and general detritus would be an ideal place for all those thin black roots to wander. Whenever, I see those N. hamata roots popping out of half-dead LFS or climbing the condensation-soaked glass, I'm reminded of how cool it would be to have one growing epiphytically. I suspect that once established, it would grow like a weed.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's true, I was just thinking you might need a somewhat large branch compared to the space that most people have to work with. It does have me thinking though. . . it would be great to see some epiphytically grown Nepenthes.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And what of vining species? What is the best way to allow them to grow naturally? Pop a trellis or branch in their growing pot?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using trellis' or sticks can work well. Many people will chop the vine into cuttings and promote basal growth of vining species. Also if you don't use any sort of structure to support the vine, the plant will often just begin making basals anywho when the vine starts hanging too low out of the pot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a friend of mine has tons growing epiphytically from random seed that took, here's one example:

a beautiful seedling from a Veitchii x Tiveyi mother - growing epiphytically on a Hapu'u fern in a friend's yard:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast