Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Problems with my Nepenthes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That media you're using is no good for them. Aside from it being too rich in nutrients, it also won't hold enough moisture. You want to use a mix heavy in LFS or even just LFS on it's own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd imagine that the added calcium isn't good for them either - soluble calcium tends to raise soil pH and harm their growth.
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh.... ummm they have been in there maybe a week i just up sized their pots. what should i go and buy tomorrow. Before i re potted them they had a mix with quite a lot of LFS and were holding a lot of water i think a bit to much. Also when i moved the alata there was a slug in with the roots. So number one priority is soil, should i go with the ratio that stranger stated.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, remove the soil. LFS straight, or more preferably mixed with pumice, non-fertilized orchid bark, or other particulates is better. And, there is green on that alata stem, so don't give up on it just yet. These plants can bounce back in surprising ways, but you'll probably want to treat it like a cutting. Also, from the looks of the leaves on some of those plants, the lighting may be a bit on the low side.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's as many different formulations for Nepenthes soil mixes as there are growers, but I would stick with simple for now. LFS/perlite or something similar (or a live sphagnum mix) should work well. It's true that neps generally don't like to have waterlogged mixes, but they aren't cacti either so make sure the soil isn't something that will dry out completely between waterings.
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I re potted them a couple of days ago with a LFS/ perlite/ orchard bark mix. It was pretty heavy in LFS, unfortunately they don't really seem to be picking up. And stranger here are those photos of the roots.
    N. Truncata,

N. lowii x Maxima,

N. Miranda,

N. Alata,

Sorry the pics aren't the best but i couldn't get the soil of properly.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nepenthes are plants that operate on months-long timescales. You cannot expect them to perk up right after a repotting, and there may yet be another downhill period as they readapt to the new, better conditions. And those roots look like they could use a boost, rather small systems for all but the truncata (and even that's on the small side).
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely dwarfed root systems, even for Nepenthes. You haven't been letting them soak in water all day, have you?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast