Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Problems with my Nepenthes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problems with my Nepenthes

Hi everyone i'm pretty new to the forum. i used to have about 20 nepenthes but i went away and lost most of them now i only have 4. i have a n. Truncata, n. alata, n. miranda and a n. Maxima x Lowii. The have been going downhill lately especially my alata. I was wondering if anyone could give me some help on bringing them back to good health, also i'm not sure if i have the right soil mix, what would the best mix be?
    [IMG]IMGP0432[/IMG]
    This is my n. miranda, the leaves seem to be slowly curling up, it also has a few little lumps on its leaves. Lastly it hasnt had a pitcher in a long time and the tiny baby pitchers seem to be shriveling up before they have even started growing. This next pic is from when it was nice and healthy.
    [IMG]IMGP0279[/IMG]
    This is my n. truncata
    [IMG]IMGP0436[/IMG]
    The truncata has pretty much the same problems as the miranda and it also has some discoloration on some of the leaves, i will also add a pic of when it was healthy.
    [IMG]IMGP0243[/IMG]
    Next is my n. Maxima x Lowii
    [IMG]IMGP0435[/IMG]
    This one one is similar to the rest, its leaves are slightly curled and the pitchers don't seem to be developing.This next pic is what it use to look like.
    [IMG]IMGP0295[/IMG]
    Lastly is my n. Alata, well it was sold as an alata but it pitchers are a bit different to what i would expect but anyways what ever it is it is not in a good way, i have cut all the dead leaves of and i dont think its going to make it, im not sure whats wrong with it im thinking maybe the soil and it holding to much water. This is it all nice and healthy.
    [IMG]IMGP0305[/IMG]
    Also i'm not sure if the photos will work i'm not sure how to insert photos, this is my first post.
    Any help will be very much appreciated

Thanks Lachlan
    Last edited by lchar789; 04-14-2015 at 12:37 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No photos. Please describe the growing conditions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Whimgrinder has said, we'll need more information. Specifically:

* Temperature, day and night
    * Humidity, day and night again
    * Lighting
    * Water quality
    * Soil mix

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to TF!

To upload photos, put them on photobucket or some other image hosting site, get the direct link to the photo, and then put it in the dialog box that pops up when you click the image button when making a post.
    Last edited by w03; 04-14-2015 at 06:41 AM.
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok i will try to get some photos and it might be a bit hard to describe the temperature and humidity because they are outside at the moment. Im pretty sure the soil mix is wrong, i couldn't find a nepenthes mix so i just got an orchid mix. Also they get filtered sunlight because the are up under a tree and i use my bore water and i think it is a bit acidic. maybe i could move them into a terrarium or something like that

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An orchid mix sounds fine, provided that it doesn't have added fertilizers and has some sort of component to retain water (ie, it's not just bark and perlite). Slightly acidic water is no problem, in fact, I find that many Nepenthes (and other cps) actually benefit from a monthly watering with acidified water! However, if your water TDS is above 100ppm, there will be an issue with mineral buildup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how do i find out the TDS?
    Last edited by lchar789; 04-14-2015 at 04:40 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are several ways of doing this. TDS meters are cheap and readily available online. You could also check with your local water supplier, they usually have the information posted online or on some other venue. As a last resort, you could try boiling away a gallon of your water. If there's a crusty white or yellow residue left after the water's gone, it means that your water is not safe. If there isn't anything, your water MAY be safe. Keep in mind that this method only works with detecting heavier things like calcium, solutes like chlorine will simply evaporate with the water as it is boiled.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast