Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easy Office Nepenthes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Easy Office Nepenthes

Hello Office Workers!

I was recently asked to find a showy Nepenthes that reliably produces pitchers in a somewhat sunny office environment. The requestee has no real experience with carnivorous plants and would prefer not to have a terrarium. Supplemental light is a possibility, but the main light source would be a sunny windowsill. Humidity would not be very high. And I already remarked that, in our climate, in winter, the plant - whatever it is - would likely not produce many pitchers unless frequently misted. Temps are fairly constant but can range from 60 to 80 depending on whether the heat or AC is on, and, obviously, localized temperatures will vary depending on the strength of the sun through the window, the nearness of warm computers, etc.

The preference is to acquire a plant that's already somewhat large. I already suggested ventrata and Miranda, but was asked for something "showier" that wasn't so "boring." I was wondering what any of you with offices grew in those offices?

One suggestion I saw while searching old discussions was "thorelli" x aristo. It looks like it would tolerate those conditions. Thoughts?

Thanks,
    -N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    x Miranda is boring? It's the one Nep I actually have a bit of experience with. Common perhaps, but grown sunny it's as showy as a lot of the "fancy" ones I see pics of. To each their own!
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think Miranda is boring either but that aside I love aristo crosses but have never tried a thorelli x aristo. Sounds like a nice houseplant.
    It's a tough life being a Sarracenia farmer
    My Grow List http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123776

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    x Miranda is boring? It's the one Nep I actually have a bit of experience with. Common perhaps, but grown sunny it's as showy as a lot of the "fancy" ones I see pics of. To each their own!
    IDK, I thought it was a good cross.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only a short amount of experience here since I've only had a "thorelli" x aristo since the end of January so feel free to ignore this. It seems to be fine on my windowsill so far. Sorry, I can't really provide constant stats because I don't usually put my monitor there but right now it's sitting around 75F and is 29%. Window is south facing and the plants are on top of a radiator.

It didn't come with any pitchers, just tendrils. Some of which aborted but it's first pitcher forming in it's new environment is on the right.

I think it would be a good choice.
    "You cannot find peace by avoiding life."
    Grow List (04.26.2015)
    Artsy Things I Do

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thorelii x aristolochioides is a pretty easy grower from my understanding (some have even told me that it's as easy as ventrata). However, it doesn't seem to be available very often, and the ones I do see for sale are somewhat pricey and pretty small. I would suggest any maxima hybrid, but seeing as N. miranda isn't "showy" enough, that idea is pretty much shot...The only large, adaptable nepenthes commonly available are pretty much just ventrata and miranda. Growing the really impressive species well on a windowsill usually isn't possible without great dedication and patience, unless you can somehow get a sample of elgecko's magic clone of N. hamata...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder how N. x tiveyi does on windowsills... theoretically it should be fairly tolerant (based on the parentage), and its pitchers are stunning.
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SerMuncherIV View Post
    Thorelii x aristolochioides is a pretty easy grower from my understanding (some have even told me that it's as easy as ventrata). However, it doesn't seem to be available very often, and the ones I do see for sale are somewhat pricey and pretty small. I would suggest any maxima hybrid, but seeing as N. miranda isn't "showy" enough, that idea is pretty much shot...The only large, adaptable nepenthes commonly available are pretty much just ventrata and miranda. Growing the really impressive species well on a windowsill usually isn't possible without great dedication and patience, unless you can somehow get a sample of elgecko's magic clone of N. hamata...
    While more than willing to gift away a Nep, if I do ever get a hold of elgeckos magic N. hamata, I'll be keeping that one for my own office

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast