What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowland species on a windowsill?

Are there any easy lowland species which will pitcher on a windowsill? I have an west-facing windowsill which gets a few hours of sunlight a day and I'd like to grow a lowlander on it. I have a mirabilis already growing there but it grows ridiculously slowly and has never pitchered. Are there any easier species which might do better than mirabilis?

Rafflesiana Typical

I had a few different types & the giant forms seem to be slower & harder. The typical forms outgrew many of my other neps in no time at all. I started them in a terrarium & they were tiny enough to place a cut in half 2 liter bottle over them. They outgrew those & I began acclimating them over the course of... maybe a month or so. placed them in a 10 gallon tank with no cover & just let them grow (extremely fast) until they started coloring up. They did just fine when moved to a windowsill. They would pitcher on every single leaf & went from green to a gorgeous deep red baseball softball sized pitchers. The uppers are also very beautiful. Rafflesiana, in my opinion are underappreciated &one of the fastest growing Neps with unique pitchers rivaling some of the big boys.

Last edited:
Not sure if you have too many options here, most lowlanders like higher humidity than what a windowsill can offer. Like Knuckles said, a rafflesiana might work. I might also suggest a lowland form of N. truncata, although those won't pitcher regularly in low humidity. I would try some hybrids like N. x trichocarpa or anything involving an easy intermediate and lowlander, there are some nice campanulata and lowland truncata hybrids that are pretty easy to grow. I've also heard tales of elgecko growing a bicalcarata alongside his windowsill hamata, but most of us don't have a magic window...

I would imagine something with really robust pitchers and leaves would do ok, maybe N. veitchii or N. truncata.

My (what I assume is a) ventrata does excellent in my windowsill, but I did notice that at first it hardly pitchered. On a suggestion I saw somewhere here (or one of the other forums) I started spraying the whole plant with distilled water every night before going to bed. Since then it's nearly constantly pitchering and growing like a weed. It's starting to vine now, too, so I'm hoping to find out what gender it is.

edit: and now I read the question correctly. I assume you're looking for a non-hybrid? Then the ventrata is out, of course.

Last edited:
Maybe N. albomarginata? I ended up with one when a pitcherless plant came mislabeled as N. reinwardtiana. It was slow to settle in, but has been pitchering steadily ever since, even during the winter when nights can be in the upper 50s and days in the low 70s (and humidity can dip as low as 30%). I'll try to post a pic later.

Thanks for the replies! Veitchii is one of the species I've been wanting to grow so if I can get it I will definitely try. Rafflesiana also seems like a pretty cool plant. I'm getting a faizaliana soon so might give that one a try. And anramitaco, were you planning on growing reinwardtiana on the windowsill?

Yup. I grow pretty much everything on a "windowsill." Actually, a rack in front of a big window. With some supplemental light. More or less windowsillesque as far as conditions go.

Bad photos, I just snapped these now, but you get the idea:

I need to replace those lights...

And here's a shot of the albo:

Wow thanks for sharing! Is the light for the plants, or did you just turn it on for the pictures? I never realized albomarginata was so hairy. Without looking at the pitchers I would have thought it was veitchii. All your Nepenthes look like they are doing great! This is really encouraging.

One of the problems with windowsill growing is that plants are going to grow toward the window. So I put some lights on top and along the sides to help even things out a bit. It's not ideal, but it works. Also, the light helps during dark CT winters.

One thing I'll say about my windowsill experience... it's a lot of work. Things will dry out more quickly or slowly depending on the humidity, I have to adjust the blinds with the seasons and the hours (e.g., in the winter when the afternoon light comes in at an angle, it can heat things up quickly), I adjust the window opening with the weather, I must contrive various things to keep pots that face the window from overheating (e.g., styrofoam), and so on. But it works for me because I like tending to my plants daily.

Thanks for the replies! Veitchii is one of the species I've been wanting to grow so if I can get it I will definitely try. Rafflesiana also seems like a pretty cool plant. I'm getting a faizaliana soon so might give that one a try. And anramitaco, were you planning on growing reinwardtiana on the windowsill?

Yes! I forgot about veitchiis! They're a great candidate as well but mine was slow & really took its time to adjust & produce pitchers.

Back