User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  1
Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Some coffee; some patience; some time . . .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Since an orchid fertilizer was also used who can say which had how much effect. Would the same growth be seen with coffee only or orchid fertilizer only?
    Having already mentioned this on the old coffee thread, growth markedly accelerated with the addition of the coffee to those plants which had already been receiving only the bimonthly 25% 30:10:10.

Further, a more effective study would involve experimenting upon a series of clones -- with and without the variables of coffee and fertilizer -- and not inherently variable seed grown plants . . .
    Last edited by BigBella; 05-25-2015 at 09:55 PM.
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thez_yo View Post
    You know you could just as easily ask us all to quit nicely while we're ahead, instead of rubbing our noses in it.
    lol! True.

Exceptionally done BigB. Man!! if only edwardsiana was more readily available at relatively affordable prices...we can actually experiment with its conditions.

Thanks for sharing your experience btw. I tried coffee a few times and it just killed my sphagnum and I had to repot the plants. Almost killed a macrophylla due to it. Perhaps I didn't properly leech the media after the coffee treatment.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vraev View Post
    Thanks for sharing your experience btw. I tried coffee a few times and it just killed my sphagnum and I had to repot the plants. Almost killed a macrophylla due to it. Perhaps I didn't properly leech the media after the coffee treatment.
    Leeching the compost the following day, was very important; and my live sphagnum thrived under those conditions . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn don't say that Varun! I just coffee treated my plants less than half an hour ago!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    Leeching the compost the following day, was very important; and my live sphagnum thrived under those conditions . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Heli View Post
    Damn don't say that Varun! I just coffee treated my plants less than half an hour ago!
    haha! Don't worry. Most if not all others who use this technique quote amazing results. It just didn't work for me.

Perhaps I don't know how much water to run through the pot BigB? I guess I also am a bit too cheap with it as I have to buy my water from the grocery store with it now becoming around $2 per gallon. I just water enough for it to run through the pot and pour out of the bottom holes. How much of it do you recommend running through? Volume would be hard to say as it depends on the size of pot and media composition. Is there a particular amount of run off time I should aim to hit? like 20sec of just water running through? But how about if you just pour a lot more water at one time through the pot, you could accomplish the same thing with lower "run off time". I may be overthinking this too much. lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps I don't know how much water to run through the pot BigB? I guess I also am a bit too cheap with it as I have to buy my water from the grocery store with it now becoming around $2 per gallon. I just water enough for it to run through the pot and pour out of the bottom holes. How much of it do you recommend running through? I may be overthinking this too much. lol
    Say, do you folks have RO water machines outside markets, in the Great White North? I thought that I saw some in Toronto. The ones where you supply your own bottle and by the gallon? In San Francisco, land of the Golden Gate and, lamentably, ****-less chaps, it runs between .37 to .40 a gallon. I generally test mine with a TDS meter; and it's rarely over 8 PPM. I run it through the pots until it appears on the clear side. My composts are loose; so it doesn't take much time.

And yes, Varun, you are soooo overthinking it . . .
    Last edited by BigBella; 05-26-2015 at 01:14 PM. Reason: TF would let me spell "***"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha! Yup! we do. when were you in Toronto? Keep me posted if you are around next time...would be awesome to meet up.

In fact I just bought my first 5gal bottle of distilled water. It cost $5.75. It was from a local small business store. They charged $12 for the bottle + tax and then the water. I have been getting the regular small 4L bottles of water from the grocery store so far just for the sake of convinience. I might have to end up going this route now as it is definitely cheaper once you invest in the big bottle. The annoyance is transferring it to a smaller container/spray bottle without it spilling.

lol! Gotcha. will have to try it again soon. I didn't used to wait till the water runs clear. It would still be tanned and it was hard to distinguish whether it was tannins due to peat or just the coffee.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Big Bella,
    Forgive me but is this the same two plants?
    Tower//Jake
    "Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling."
    http://www.thecpforum.com <--- My site

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast