Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hybrid names

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hybrid names

Sorry if this question is dumb but I've been wondering what is the difference between lets just say a N. Maxima x Alata and a N. Alata x Maxima? Also when you do create hybrids how would you go about describing the hybrid? Like the male x female? Lastly does it work the same sarrs?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The name of whichever plant is actually bearing the seed comes first. Obviously in the case of Nepenthes, the female comes first. For example, if you took pollen from Sarracenia rubra and pollinated Sarracenia leucophylla with it, the resulting seedlings would be Sarracenia leucophylla x rubra. Also, when writing plant names, the epithet (or species name) is never capitalized. So, rather than writing "Nepenthes Maxima" you would want to write "Nepenthes maxima".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The parentage can also be important, at least for Nepenthes I'm under the impression that the hybrid will generally (but not always!) display more traits from the mother. I recently read an interesting discussion on it here, but I'm not sure if there's been more recent information since then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you both very much!! That was definitely informational.