Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My small collection

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That lingulata is absolutely beautiful can't wait for mine to look like that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been a good few months, and it's the middle of summer now. Some pitchers aren't surviving as long, although I'm not sure why. The N. x trusmadiensis x burbidgeae pitcher in my last post is still looking good, but the larger one that came after it only lasted about a month before browning. Ditto with a N. burbidgeae x talangensis pitcher. Anyhow, pictures:

N. (eymae x maxima) x [(veitchii x maxima) x veitchii]. Colouring could be nicer, but I still like that peristome. A pitcher when I got it was much nicer in my opinion, more a white/pink instead of green/red. I'm guessing that's a light issue.

N. burbidgeae x talangensis. Small pitcher, absurdly long tendril. Can't wait until this plant is bigger.

N. [(lowii x veitchii)-yellow x boschiana] x burbidgeae, as entered in the Jan 2016 POTM thread. It's actually continued to darken since this picture, both body and peristome.

N. (ventricosa x sibuyanensis) x macfarlanei. Tubby!

Group shot here. From left to right: N. (eymae x maxima) x [(veitchii x maxima) x veitchii], N. rajah x mira, N. glandulifera. Yeah, the left one has the same parentage as the first plant in this post. Remarkable difference. Also, on the far left and partly out of the picture is the browning N. x trusmadiensis x burbidgeae pitcher I mentioned earlier.

N. burbidgeae x robcantleyi. Getting bigger with every pitcher, peristome not really flaring our much more though. Off to the right is N. chaniana, which looks like it's growing quite happily.

N. boschiana x platychila. Have to say I'm conflicted about this one. My biggest plant and it has a nice body, but I'm not sure about the peristome. Still a good one though.

N. veitchii x burbidgeae. Both pitchers from the same plant, interesting to see the colour difference. Hopefully the former will develop a red edge like the other one, but to be honest I think that's its final state.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really like the bosch x platy actually, think the color is great. And the peristome will probably widen as it hits uppers.
    I also like the contrast on your burb x robc; mine gets the super dark peristome and even darker stripes, but the body blushes along with it, which is also nice but not as stark and crisp as something like yours. The peristomes in this cross never seem to flare though, taking more after burb in that manner. Even the big mature pitchers I've seen in pics roll.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the comments! The N. boschiana x platychila is getting to be about a foot tall and the internode spacing is slowly increasing, so hopefully uppers won't be that far away and it can show off its colours a bit more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N. (ventricosa x sibuyanensis) x (izumeae x trusmadiensis). One of the nice things about buying specimen plants from EP is that you know exactly what you're getting. EP's picture on the left, mine on the right. I love this plant, and it's remarkable how well some of the traits of its parents shine through. Also, the pitchers are solid! Thickest walls out of anything in my collection that's a similar size.

N. burbidgeae x talangensis. Only a couple of inches high, but getting bigger and getting to have a very nice shape. Funny how the patterning on the front is so much finer than that past the wings.

N. (eymae x maxima) x [(veitchii x maxima) x veitchii]. Both with the same parentage. Go figure.

N. (ventricosa x sibuyanensis) x macfarlanei. Not that you can tell, all the pitchers are buried in sphagnum! I should prune it and maybe move it to somewhere with more air movement, this and another plant next to it are showing red-brown spots even on the younger leaves. Thoughts?

N. robcantleyi x hamata. Seeing how fast some others are growing I figure I got a slow one, but still, this one's mine.

N. lingulata. Do you think it's vining? I think it is!

N. boschiana x platychila. Speaking of vining...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow nice plants !

N. burbidgeae x talangensis is an absolutely genius blend of genetics. Throw a glabrata parent somewhere in there and then there could be no finer mottling in the genus.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Greetings from the netherworld. curtisconners's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard that nepenthes pitchers love live sphagnum. If I recall correctly, the article said that nep pitchers would go into the sphagnum and grow very large.
    Last edited by curtisconners; 04-25-2016 at 04:29 AM.
    The profile pic that you see above is my actual photo. I am a hyper-intelligent snake that has learned to use the internet and I will eventually rule you all.

Just kidding..... Or am I?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Dexenthes, thanks! Means a lot coming from you. Funny you mention throwing N. glabrata into the mix, I do have one. Temperamental little sucker though, it's very inconsistent in its pitchering. Maybe if it ever turns out to be the opposite sex to my N. burbidgeae x talangensis... Congrats on the addition of your N. lingulata by the way! Easily up there in my favourites list. Was yours from EP too?

@curtisconners, yes and no in my experience. Sphagnum does help to trigger pitchers and I think they grow faster when they start inflating (guessing due to physical contact and high humidity, respectively), but in my experience they haven't been any bigger than their counterparts that just hang in the air. Might be the case for other growers, but not so for me.
    Last edited by Stranger; 04-23-2016 at 08:52 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast