Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Red Nepenthes?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, thanks. Ill leave it alone for now since it seems to be growing fine and its a nice oddity.
    ~Burgeoning connoisseur of all things ventricosa or otherwise tubby.~

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should point out, however, that just by applying a bit more Phosphorus it doesn't mean the plant is going to lose ALL its red and become blandly green-only. Genetics will ensure that its always going to be far redder than its siblings.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    I should point out, however, that just by applying a bit more Phosphorus it doesn't mean the plant is going to lose ALL its red and become blandly green-only. Genetics will ensure that its always going to be far redder than its siblings.
    This is true. By no means was I suggesting P will turn all plants into a disgusting neon green color. I have siblings from this same cross, and even with P supplementation several still have a substantially purplish hue (again, also attractive IMO). It's my suspicion that at least in some cases, genetics play a role in the various pathways for P uptake/use.

And another caveat to all I've said thus far is that P isn't quite as leaf-mobile as other nutrients (iron, Ca, K, etc.) and it takes a number of foliar applications before you actually begin to cause a shift from bright purple to green. The change isn't instantaneous. Each application essentially shifts the plant slightly along the spectrum from deficient to sufficient.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theplantman View Post
    This is true. By no means was I suggesting P will turn all plants into a disgusting neon green color. I have siblings from this same cross, and even with P supplementation several still have a substantially purplish hue (again, also attractive IMO). It's my suspicion that at least in some cases, genetics play a role in the various pathways for P uptake/use.

And another caveat to all I've said thus far is that P isn't quite as leaf-mobile as other nutrients (iron, Ca, K, etc.) and it takes a number of foliar applications before you actually begin to cause a shift from bright purple to green. The change isn't instantaneous. Each application essentially shifts the plant slightly along the spectrum from deficient to sufficient.
    Excellent information, Kevin. Well said, thanks!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the info! Knowing it wouldnt turn green again is nice, if I ever have spare cash Ill grab some reccomended fertilizer.
    ~Burgeoning connoisseur of all things ventricosa or otherwise tubby.~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow thats amazing it reminds me of the red pitchers on another nepenthes lady luck, the leaves are beautiful i deff have to book mark this page and show the kids in my prog! Only problem with thst is that ill have to hear about that plant they saw for months lol!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123