What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. robcantleyi gender?

Hi corky, which book is the text and photo from, cheers

Mark

Hi Mark , it was in the spring addition of the CPS Plantacarnivora, think its a UK publication , very good article that was the summary by dr Martin cheek (probably already broke a copyright)

I would like to see a veichii x ramispina or maybe lingulata hybrid.. Havent seen any of those.
My friend had one growing from seed got about 4inch leaf span and produced one full sized mini pitcher that was long and dark purplish but then the plant died off from some kind of pest infestation. I was very dissapointed. But i haven't seen any good crosses with this plant of recent .. A few are okay looking but never as great as you'd think they'd be. But with plants its a genetic roll of the dice u never know :)

Very nice to hear that it is probably a female Ron, congratulations.

I don't see where all the N. robcantleyi hybrid hate is coming from. While I will agree that most of the hybrids aren't ridiculously attractive, most that I have seen are at least still robust and interesting looking, not worthy of ridicule IMO. Also I feel that many of the more promising mixing of genetics have yet to come! Could you imagine N. robcantleyi x lowii? N. robcantleyi x hurreliana? N. robcantleyi x ampullaria. . . N. roncantleyi x rafflesiana, N. robcantleyi x bicalcarata . . . etc etc. :water:

Hi Mark , it was in the spring addition of the CPS Plantacarnivora, think its a UK publication , very good article that was the summary by dr Martin cheek (probably already broke a copyright)
Cheers corky, yeah planta carnivora is a uk publication of the ukcps. Just happens I'm just about to renew my subscription.

Mark

I quite like the robcantleyi hybrids, I grow, fusca x robcantleyi, densiflora x robcantleyi and ventricosa x robcantleyi all on se windowsills and they do really well, so I can attest the hardiness of these hybrids.

Mark

N. robcantleyi is like a better version of N. truncata, so I will expect improved results using it. In my eyes it has done that, but one have to look at the other parent too when judging the results. I am still hoping for a hybrid with BE's N. spectabilis "giant". Rob tried that cross few years back, but unfortunately no success.

Regards,

Christer

Last edited:
The robcantleyi x veitchii (Bareo) from BE is a vigorous grower even in lowland conditions...imagine its potential in highland conditions!

I vote for veitchii pollen! :boogie:

I vote for veitchii pollen! :boogie:
We can wish for all sorts of things but if pollen isn't available, it really doesn't matter. I put a notice on Nep forum several days ago & no responses at all.

:headwall:

I have N. Mastersiana pollen available, but it would be more for the novelty of the cross than any real genetic merit.

Put a notice on the nep forum too, but if you are looking for just species pollen I don't have anything of interest, otherwise I have several hybrids that might work well.

Back