What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nepenthes basal removal and rooting help!

Soo the title pretty much says it all, i have a few nepenthes that have some basals that id like to remove and give to some kids to try to grow on their own or trade to anyone whose interested for some new varieties of plants species or plants wed just like to observe/grow/learn about or something i have personally wanted for my own collection that i could share with the group aswell. I have some smaller basals and some larger and im not sure how to remove them from the stalk without damaging the plant. Ive taken cuttings of nepenthes when theyve become very long on the stem but im kinda at a loss on how to properly do this and want to ask someone whose done it before who has better knowledge on how to do so then i can share the info with the kids (knowledge is best to ne shared with others i say!) thanks for the help
Ill post some pictures of the plants when i have time, my camera on my phone is acting up a bit so im gonna give it a bit to see if that helps
Thanks again!

I have done this on a regular basis; and my suggestion, would be to use either a new scalpel or an x-acto blade, and to cut as close to the main stem as possible. I often take a small bit of the stem as well, depending upon the plant size, leaving a tiny concavity.

I would use a rooting powder with 1-NAA, containing a fungicide, and to plant the basal(s) in live sphagnum; or else, in a small 2:1 pot of milled sphagnum to horticultural sand . . .

Last edited:
I usually wait until the basal is at least 4" across before I cut them off. Once they are cut off, you can treat them like ordinary cuttings.

20150625_144817-1.jpg

20150625_144650-1.jpg

20150625_144605-1.jpg

Heres some pictures of what I'm talking about

The first photo shows 2 of the basals but theis actually 3 and tge stems are all attached in a 'Y' shape and im super scared to chop that one

Advice on how to go about doing this on the 1st pictures basals on the 2nd post of photos. Like i said its kind of 'Y' shaped on the stem with 3 basals

Back