Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes Seed Sowing

Getting There...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nepenthes Seed Sowing

Sow (pun intended), i've sewn and germinated nepenthes a nubmer of the times i nthe past, to mixed success. I've done two main methods, one being sown in ziploc bags or humidity domes on pure LFS, the other being a peat/sand mix. My main problem in the past has been algae and/or fungus takeover every so often. I'm just wondering how I can avoid this. The vast majority of my successes have been on LFS. I use only distilled water.

Just got some seeds to try today, and want input on what I might be doing wrong before I sow them tonight!

Thanks for the help, and happy growing,

Kyle

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have better luck on a sand/peat mix and that's what I now use exclusively. I microwave the media for 20 minutes before using. This cuts down (but does not eliminate) on moss spores and algae. Seeds are placed on top of media in seed starter cells and placed in trays under a high dome. I've germinated thousands of Nepenthes seeds this way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What temperature and sun conditions do you use Cthulhu138?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Room temperature, under 12 hours of light.

Getting There...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any advice on how moist to keep them/nto lettign them dry out or get flooded?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, don't let them dry out or get flooded.........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on what neps the conditions vary, I am limited to lowlanders and intermediates, but I have great success with an array of soils, the biggest thing seems to be keep the media moist, bright to intense light and air flow.

I now just put the seeds in trays on a bench in my greenhouse, but before that I used a two foot tank with a small gap at the top as well as a 12V cpu fan on a battery (12V car battery with a 4+V solar panel or replacing 6V batteries works fine), it was cheap and easy to setup and took very little care until they where about 3-4cm and I started hardening them off.

I used shallow water trays to maintain the soil moisture when I used a tank (1-2cm trays for 5-12cm tall pots work great), as for temps I have found that anywhere from 24-35C is fine for lowlanders and 24-30C is fine for intermediates, with night drops rarely below 20C.

In saying this I have germinated and grown on veitchii, mirabilis, kongkadana X mirabiis "viking", ampullaria and ventricosa in winter in the greenhouse (temps as low as 8-10C at night and days of 25-28C, with little loss, so they seem pretty tolerable, they just grew slower.

I also add NPK fertiliser to my substrates and have found this really helps, but in small amounts, if your using sphagnum moss it tend to rot faster, but if you use an orchid potting mix or a African violet/spag it has little effect.
    In saying this I have misters running twice a day so they fertiliser is very dilute.

Hope this helps.

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For my germination, I use 100% Chopped Sphagnum moss. Seems to work pretty well however
    you have to monitor them because sometimes small colonies of mold will start growing. (I usually dont sterilize media)

Then after the pot is seeded, I throw a plastic bag over the top and make sure theyre moist and
    clean up to germination.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast